MTB holiday Garden Route

Steady Spin

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/16/2022 at 3:50 PM, guidodg said:

rode all the GRTP routes in March…all clearly marked and well maintained …. they also have great coffee and carrot cake there

6973A66D-A04D-4F31-9F2A-0B671DCACDA8.jpeg

No jokes that carrot cake is next level. After we tasted it last year we had them bake us a cake for my wife's birthday! I like grtp, but it is a bit misleading that there's a variety of trails as you need to pass through all of them to get to the next one. But it is proper fun and kids and novices can ride there as well!

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Looks like we picked our 3 trails for the trip. (I'm hoping 4 is an option)

1: Harkerville
2: Concordia
3: GRTP

Now to mentally prepare for the drive. 

Sounds like a blast. Enjoy. Drive safe, and rest often. No need to rush there, the trails will be there when you arrive.

On 5/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, Blue Monster said:

GRTP IMHO was not great this last December. Route marking not great, and just an unkept feeling while riding, with more than one felled tree at head height, just an inch or two from the trail.

I won't be rushing there any time soon.

A nice and tough gravel ride is to start at the bottom of Simola hill then continue the Kom se Pad - clockwise, and at the R 339 turn right. Keep going until you are ready to turn back. Over 1600m elevation for 60km.

There has been quite a bit of rain damage, but it's under new management as of last month or so and I believe lots of work is being done. 

21 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

There has been quite a bit of rain damage, but it's under new management as of last month or so and I believe lots of work is being done. 

This puts me in two minds. Spoke to some friends as well and they also complained about lack of maintenance. 

1 Harkerville - Red Route
2 MTO Cairnbrogie - Kev's Top Trails
3 Concordia Contours - Whole Shebang

Added the Trailforks names of the routes as well. Not sure how well known these are. 

18 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

This puts me in two minds. Spoke to some friends as well and they also complained about lack of maintenance. 

1 Harkerville - Red Route
2 MTO Cairnbrogie - Kev's Top Trails
3 Concordia Contours - Whole Shebang

Added the Trailforks names of the routes as well. Not sure how well known these are. 

I've ridden all the above more than once in the last year and I'd suggest:

1. Cairnbrogie
  2. Trail Park
  3. Concordia Contours
  4. Red Route

That's my opinion as someone who enjoys flow lines, berms, features etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well worth taking the bikes down.

Harkerville proved to be quite a big day out for us. Loved the downhills and it is hands down the most beautiful trail I've ever ridden. 10/10 will ride this again.

Cairnbrogie was a complete blast with sections like Mineshaft, Old Coot, and Santa Cruz blowing my mind. Could easily keep hitting this place until I needed hip replacements. 100/10 will be riding this again. Best trail markings I've ever seen in my life. Insanely well maintained. 

Simola was disappointing unfortunately. Definitely need a local to show you around. Everything starts out great with Lamb into Monsters into Stolen Porridge. Picking up 7 Devils and Why to Why Not was easy enough but from there we just couldn't find anything else. A gravel grind back to the car saw us only doing 15km of trail which was sad. Trailforks didn't help much either. 

1 hour ago, guidodg said:

and you didn't ride the GRTP?

We checked with the locals and the 3 we rode came recommended. GRTP apparently still has some sections that need maintenance. 

It was quite a drive out from Brenton as well so I didn’t want to risk it. 

3 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Well worth taking the bikes down.

Cairnbrogie was a complete blast with sections like Mineshaft, Old Coot, and Santa Cruz blowing my mind. Could easily keep hitting this place until I needed hip replacements. 100/10 will be riding this again. Best trail markings I've ever seen in my life. Insanely well maintained. 

awesome to see they are keeping up!

Those trails are manicured. Some lovely climbs as well. Berms everywhere.

Ran into the maintenance crew on Mineshaft and stopped to have a chat. All smiles and super proud of the work they do.