My brand new is not your brand new

LazyTrailRider

14 minutes ago, GhostSixFour said:

This guy was part of the bikehub for 9 years with no posts. He's gonna close his account and move onto a new one I'm sure. We need to phone number posted at least.

I tried, it got removed by admin.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, FreeSoul said:

I tried, it got removed by admin.

Yip, because it's illegal to share someone's personal details without their consent.

Some new info: I managed to find out that it was purchased around mid 2021.

Yup, brand new.

5 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Sorry for the disappointment.

Can I ask an offsides question please?

What is so wonderful about a Fenix that one would risk this sort of disappointment when you can get a new Instinct or even a Suunto 9 for less? That someone hasn't sweated all over and used as a kneepad.

https://www.takealot.com/suunto-9-baro-sports-watch-charcoal-titanium/PLID72466377

https://www.takealot.com/garmin-instinct-rugged-outdoor-smartwatch-graphite/PLID54854154

I ask myself the same question as I look at my now 8 month old Instinct that has a scratched buckle but perfect glass and case. I must say its not the most attractive thing and it has  fewer functions than a Fenix, but it was only R3k brand new 🙂 

Hang on so this is a scam right? 

scam /ˈskæm/  verb: to get (something, such as money) by deceiving someone

So why is it that on the scammers thread its open season on posting phone numbers but here it gets removed?

@LazyTrailRideradd the guy to the scammer list

9 hours ago, Jono said:

Hang on so this is a scam right? 

scam /ˈskæm/  verb: to get (something, such as money) by deceiving someone

So why is it that on the scammers thread its open season on posting phone numbers but here it gets removed?

@LazyTrailRideradd the guy to the scammer list

Well, there is a bit of a difference between this scenario, and the criminal conduct of a scammer, isn’t there?

A scammer does not have a watch, but he pretends to have one in order to part you and your money. This dude did have a watch, and he did deliver it. He (as the OP perceptively pointed out) just had an alternative perception of what brand new means. 

I have often encountered people with a genuine weird bias about stuff they are selling. They still perceive it as being brand new because it was so when they bought it. And they have difficulty understanding that it has degraded from brand new status under their possession. Its an interesting phenomenon. My theory is that a narcissist just can’t get comfy with the fact that his **** doesn’t smell. I bet more than a few eggheads have written academic papers on this.

Anyway, I am not saying that’s what happened with this particular seller. In fact, I think he is a liar and a total asswipe. But still, he does not fit into the category of the oil rig scam artist. Which does mean to say that the public are not in need of protection from his next misleading ad. But, Popia has lots of unintended consequences.

Caveat Emptor....

I am not saying what the seller did was right or the buyer did anything wrong, but unfortunately the onus is upon the buyer to do due diligence when buying an used item from someone not known to him. 

I also almost stepped into the exact same trap on another online platform where an older model Fenix was offered for sale. I was (still am) in the market for something to replace my Forerunner 35 of which the strap broke out of the casing and cannot be repaired. The photos offered on the website did not give a clear enough representation of the item, so I asked for better, high resolution pics. 

Lucky for me I did that, because on those you could see quite clearly that the item was not as described and I walked away.

I have bought other items here on the BikeHub with which I was very satisfied, but still adhering to my own checks. Not everybody out there are crooks, but everyone still have to be wary of those that are lurking out there.

I also agree with other posts that this should be investigated by admin and failing to give proper explanation, sanctions should be imposed on the guilty party. 

Edited by Jaco Steyn
Spelling

23 hours ago, Headshot said:

I ask myself the same question as I look at my now 8 month old Instinct that has a scratched buckle but perfect glass and case. I must say its not the most attractive thing and it has  fewer functions than a Fenix, but it was only R3k brand new 🙂 

I'm super keen on an Instinct Surf. But for the $ I'll rather keep my forerunner and buy a better wetsuit which will make a more material difference to my experience.

Anyway I digress. IMO, buying 2nd hand consumer electronics is right up there with buying a 2nd hand high end SUV. The OP's experience just reinforces that for me.

Edited by Duane_Bosch