Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

4 minutes ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

So I get it that they hold people up on the downhills with lack of experience and or skill, but I don’t get the part that they ride people from their lines on the climbs. Isn’t it just simple enough to stay on your line and not make way? If there is enough space, they can pass without impeding you and if there is not enough space, well then they can pass going in the veld. Simple as that in my opinion. 

The problem of people holding others up on the downhill sections have always been an issue for me at MTB events, even before e-bikes. 

I don’t see the increased risk that they bring, but perhaps I haven’t done enough of mass participation events recently. 

Do not generalize. A pig on an ebike will also be a pig on a normal bike.

It's often not the bike but the rider.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, shaper said:

Really??? I am reading this thread totally different... mostly those who ride ebikes venomously defending their choice with a lot of sarcastic comments thrown in.... and seem to think they are somewhat better and enjoy the false sense of enjoyment/entitlement as they blast past never to be seen again, to quote one poster.  

If someone has trained hard for an event and continues to train hard for future events, they have a right to have concerns about ebikes being in the middle of cycle events and by the comments here there seems to be enough ebike riders that they could have their own day tagged onto the Sani event which is already over 3 days. So why not make it 4 days and 1 being solely for ebikes or teams with an ebike in it, even if the other half of the team does not ride an ebike.

As I see it the hate is coming the other direction because someone voiced their concern about the level of fitness and skill of people riding an ebike at Sani this year where some decent handling skills and a certain fitness level are a must and felt it was a danger not only to themselves but to the riders of ebikes.

Im reading it as it is.. 

One person had a bad experience with a unskilled ebiker and now assumes all ebikers are unskilled fat and lazy ... 

I can promise you there are just as many unskilled riders on normal bikes going these events, including W2W which I have done numerous times on an analog.

I have often had to wait on single track cause a very fit rider got off his bike to walk a "technical section" on many a race. 

You also assume that because someone is on a ebike they are not enjoying the ride.??? Really ?

Sani2Sea is happy to take money from ebikers ... so the ebiker has just as much right to enjoy the trails that area and ride has to offer. Eventually they will figure out how to accommodate both.  but for now, either start in the front batch if you training so hard... or learn to show a little compassion to those folk who are not as gifted with bike handling skills as you apparently are. We can't all be Chris Akrigg. 

First price would be have separate events.. and may ebikers would gladly do that, but that reality is not there yet. 

11 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Most of this would be solved if Sani2c and most races went with the "minimum time" requirement like CTCT - was it 4 hours at CTCT?

Start them last and make the minimum ebike time long enough that you force ebike riders to do the things they want to do - enjoy the scenery.

Two separate races at one event - everybody wins.

The event organizer should allocate the Adventure Event to e-bike riders. No e-bikes should be allowed in the Race Event.

18 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

To be honest I stopped reading on page 2 when I saw that it was just the same protagonists saying the same things. 

Sorry if things changed. 

I think the separation of events has been tackled on here by actual event organisers before and it's not financially viable to split and carry the costs. 

The guys I know who train super hard for things like Sani2Sea didn't see an ebike last week. 

Anyway, show me the riders being mowed down by the e-bikes. I'm concerned about being struck by lightning but it very seldom actually happens to anyone. 

Until there is actual carnage caused exclusively by e-bikers (not a case of e-bikers doing exactly what normal bikers do) I will continue to believe that it is simply a case of people being unable to accept change and move on

For someone who said they read the first 2 pages, obviously did not comprehend what the OP said.  He did not have concerns about any ebiker mowing down someone or complain that this was happening, but more about the lack of technical skills and fitness level of people who would not do such an event normally, but think and ebike can make up for this....however are being a danger to themselves and potentially others. 

And the guys who train super hard were probably doing the race where there are unlikely to be many ebikes if any! 

23 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Really. 

Yes really, you want me to quote your post?

4 minutes ago, Owen said:

The event organizer should allocate the Adventure Event to e-bike riders. No e-bikes should be allowed in the Race Event.

Just like W2W . ebikers are only allowed in the mid week event ... that's perfect. 

p[9q

so my cat walked over my laptop whilst I was actually watching cycling not arguing about it and typed the above

Said effin cat then followed the topic and I have an inbox full of this drivel

Toolz (the cat) has had her bikehub privileges revoked

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol
naught cat

Splitting events as mentioned already. See Great Zuurberg Trek has 2 events now.

The normal event and then the ebike event, where normal bicycles are allowed but focus is on ebikes. 

PS: What is the view on chipped and derestricted ebikes? I'll feel cheated if my bike is "normal". 

5 hours ago, YaseenEnos said:

Racing is a form of enjoyment isnt it????

Anyway, I dont agree with your post.

To give context, i think most people dont have an issue with ebikes on a local ride. Whether thats them wizzing past and then slowing you down on the descends etc.

The issue is about racing in a field with a mixture of ebikers and normal bikers and the safety concerns raised which i think are valid. The reality is that Ebikes have opened up "racing" to a group of society that would normally never participate for said events due to lack of fitness and skills OR mixing them up with other racers with higher kill and fitness levels.

I think most of the people on the thread would appreciate separate events or days for Ebikers. 

Also calling out anyone who is not chasing a podium or top position that they should just sit up and relax is "elitist" mentality. 

Anyone pushing themselves in a race, whether its for podium, top 25% percentile or even just trying to make cut-off deserves praise and not discouragement which what you doing now 

I like your way of thinking ... even though I differ on some aspects.

YES, there are some unskilled ebike riders out there.  And maybe some sort of a filtering could used .... ride a few local 1-day races before being allowed to enter a multi-day event.

As a previous poster have said .... his wife IS a skilled rider.  Due to health issues she is now moving over to an ebike.  

Separate days for ebikes ..... NO, I certainly dont agree with this.  I do have a friends on normal bikes who I enjoy riding with.  In fact one has invited me to do Darling Brew with him.  Same as I want to enjoy rides with my little one, and soon he will be old and strong enough for some longer events - and he most certainly will be on a normal bike.  All that said - IF I ride Darling Brew with my friend .... Start at the BACK !!!  And HE will have to dial it down, and ride a slower race - purely because I dont want any accusations of him being helped by an ebike rider .... 

As much as I am in favour of races allowing ebikes .... they must start at the BACK.  Under no circumstances should an ebike rider impact on the race timing of others.  And this ties in with your comment of everyone pushing themselves ....  Even the "back marker" on a normal bike is trying for his "personal best", and the ebikers should not stuff up his day.  Being 2nd in the 50+ group is important to some, irrespective of how far they are off the podium.

Ironically, THIS  (pushing yourself) is one of the biggest challenges for me with the upcoming Trans Augrabies - on an ebike .....  IF pushing myself was my "primary focus", then I may well mess up others times ....  I push myself on my solo rides, stretching my range, increasing my pace, improving my recovery rate, etc.  But when I am on my ebike in a race with normal bikes .... I take a step back and make sure to not impact their race times.    And this is NOT easy .... when you see that one ebike ahead and you know you can move up one spot in your race .....

Edited by ChrisF