Does rim tape brand/type matter?

Ivan Bergman

Howzit everyone!

Been on the Hub for a some time but never really participated in any meaningful way, hence the new topic.

I did a quick search and found that the discussion on this topic is fairly old, perhaps outdated.

Does rim tape brands/materials really make a difference? Some people/shops swear by a certain brand or type, others are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'd like to know your take and experience?

Edited by Ivan Bergman
Corrected first paragraph. Can't make innacurate claims.

1 minute ago, Ivan Bergman said:

Howzit everyone!

Been on the Hub for a few years, but never really participated in any meaningful way, hence the new topic.

I did a quick search and found that the discussion on this topic is fairly old, perhaps outdated.

Does rim tape brands/materials really make a difference? Some people/shops swear by a certain brand or type, others are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'd like to know your take and experience?

I don't think so.

I've used Ryder with no issues, and now using Gorilla tape with no issues.

I think it is more about the care taken when applying than the brand used.

1 minute ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

I don't think so.

I've used Ryder with no issues, and now using Gorilla tape with no issues.

I think it is more about the care taken when applying than the brand used.

Agreed, I have never found it mattered. If done well, any brand or like Koos said, even gorilla tape can work. Just remember to put electrical tape on the rim before you apply the rim tape.

Brand unlikely to matter, but can indeed be different.

For example, some may require two layers others can get away with one.

Some may work better with a layer of insulation tape as mentioned.

Then of course there's the issue of removal ... some can be a real pain.

13 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Brand unlikely to matter, but can indeed be different.

For example, some may require two layers others can get away with one.

Some may work better with a layer of insulation tape as mentioned.

Then of course there's the issue of removal ... some can be a real pain.

On that note, only use 1 layer in stan's rims. Ask me how I know 2 layers is too much haha

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

What’s with the wizards brew’s??! 
insulation tape?

xylene????!

Just been taught by the mechanics where I work that insulation tape generally helps it stick better and just helps overall. The way I have been doing it for a while, and luckily never had to redo it once.

Polyurethane tape with polyurethane adhesive (Stans, American Classic, Dt Swiss) work very well and provide penetration resistance. Duct tape works but is poor when you hit a porcupine…

gorilla is also good. 
3M fibre tape is still a good option too as is fibreglass reinforced tape

1 minute ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Just been taught by the mechanics where I work that insulation tape generally helps it stick better and just helps overall. The way I have been doing it for a while, and luckily never had to redo it once.

But the insulation tape has poor adhesive properties….

the only time it’s useful is if you want to make the tape thicker to allow the tyre to seat faster

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

But the insulation tape has poor adhesive properties….

the only time it’s useful is if you want to make the tape thicker to allow the tyre to seat faster

Just how we have been doing it for years. Pretty sure it helps it stick.

13 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

xylene????!

To clean up sticky glue - not sure re use on carbon but works very well to remove e.g. Gorilla tape remnants from alu rims.

Re two layers -  Stans recommendation is two layers for road tubeless setups.  (Depending on pressure)

Stan's Yellow Tape is designed to work with tubeless-ready rims and wheels. If you'll be inflating your tires to 45psi or less, one layer of yellow tape in the bed of your rim is all you need for most rims. For road tubeless and similar tires that require more than 45psi of pressure, a double wrap of tape is required.

Edited by Pieter-za

I use any duct tape, cheaper the better. Don't believe insulation tape adds any value. Once I put the tape on I run a tire lever along the bead on both edges to make sure the tape is plush against the rim.

1 hour ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Just how we have been doing it for years. Pretty sure it helps it stick.

you would be better off using celotape

Got a set of new rims over the weekend, just finished cleaning off the adhesive. I'll give both methods a try.

One rim with a layer of insulation and one without and post my findings.

Also remember to file down the spoke holes if it's a new build with a Dremel file or alike. Sometimes the  spoke access hole is quite sharp and with a little pressure the rim-tape will rip/push through, even with 2 layers.