MTB safety in SA

King Wakanda

1 hour ago, porqui said:

Here they hit you with a baseball bat before you even know it and that IS a fact (been done) !!!

Well that’s just what it’ll take to get my bike because if he doesn’t I will not leave him the use of his legs . ……..and that’s a fact!!!!

16 hours ago, bluewhite said:

Well that’s just what it’ll take to get my bike because if he doesn’t I will not leave him the use of his legs . ……..and that’s a fact!!!!

That's what I said a few years back, before my bikejacking. Reality was, within 30 seconds they had my bike on the back of their bakkie, and I was left stranded next to the road, pepperspray in hand, but no chance to use it.

And I thionk of myself as an "paraat" kinda guy, aware of my surroundings.

40 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

That's what I said a few years back, before my bikejacking. Reality was, within 30 seconds they had my bike on the back of their bakkie, and I was left stranded next to the road, pepperspray in hand, but no chance to use it.

^this

I don't care who you are or how observant you are, you are always at a disadvantage when someone on foot who is armed comes at you, the person on a bike. They may have the knife/bat in hand and you will have to draw your pepper spray and actually hit them, by which time you will be stabbed and robbed.

Some guys do manage to fend them off, but this is the minority. I have my bike insured, so I won't risk my life for it. I will hand it over because someone high on tik won't take kindly to you fighting back. 

Also as I have said before, if cyclists start arming themselves, not only is it: a) stupid to ride with a weapon

b) awkward to draw a weapon on a bike

c) presenting the opportunity to have said weapon stolen

Along with this, thugs will start to think all cyclists are armed and it won't be a threat of stabbing, they will shoot you and take your bike because now they fear their own safety.

The point where most people start carrying weapons when they ride is the point when I stop riding. I would not be able to ride with the thought of being shot at just for my bike.

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

On 8/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, Wannabe said:

Well ... maybe you not "paraat enough" .... 🤪

I used to ONLY cycle alone and they didn't manage to "surprise" me yet.  There was a number of times when I recognized the danger before they could surprise me and managed to avoid it.

Although you can never be paraat enough, I still believe it does go a long way to keep you out of the k@k.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, Wannabe said:

I hate to say that this is a circular Hub discussion and every situation is different. If they only want your possessions, no issue but if they are going to maim or kill you, consider doing everything in your power, including preparation. I default back to the guy who killed two of his attackers with a "pocket knife" near Giba. He was fighting for his life (a very well prepared lad I understand).

4 hours ago, TheoG said:

Well ... maybe you not "paraat enough" .... 🤪

I used to ONLY cycle alone and they didn't manage to "surprise" me yet.  There was a number of times when I recognized the danger before they could surprise me and managed to avoid it.

Although you can never be paraat enough, I still believe it does go a long way to keep you out of the k@k.

How would you have avoided it when a bakkie pulls infront of you, chap on the back jumps off and grab your bike, and the chap in the passenger side of the vehicle jumps out and comes for you, possibly armed?

My first instinct was to fight, but when the chap came at me from the side, I let my bike go. Chap who grabbed it initialy, threw it into the loadbin and jumped in, chap no 2 jumped on the back of the bakkie and the driver gunned it, leaving me standing lost next to the road. All of this in less than 30 seconds.

So Mr Paraat, what would have done to avoid this or retain possession of your bike? 

Ride MTB on/off road face oncoming traffic then you can rely on other means of protection but you know the possibility of a surprise bakkie is eliminated. I am thinking of taking Karate lessons and get back on my bike as soon as I get a black belt.

Edited by Job

On 8/19/2022 at 6:08 PM, bluewhite said:

Cool story bro. I’m assuming you also think that all lives matter?

(Doing my part to get this thread locked so the muppets who think they’re heroes can stop giving others stupid ideas).

I find this thread hilarious.

On the one hand we have people who are saying they will attempt to defend themselves if attacked.
On the other hand we have people who will just hand over their bikes and are saying it is wrong to even attempt to defend yourself.

The one side is arguing with the other because they think the other is not allowed to think what they are thinking, or do what they are doing.

Well, I for one am going to say it - both groups are very much wrong 😁
Yes, someone on the internet is wrong, imagine that.

It is a personal choice. It also depends on the situation. It also depends on you. No one else can tell you what to do in that situation. Every situation is unique. There is no cut-and-dried rule.

Each to his own. You do you.

....in about 5 minutes someone is going to come along and say I am not allowed to think or say the above.

*for the record. I mostly cycle alone. MTB and road. I haven't had any incidents in the last 10 or so years. Yes, I know, that doesn't prove anything, and yes, I might be next. I for one will vaguely attempt to analyze the situation when and if attacked. It will be either fight or flight, depending on the situation. Who knows - I personally don't find speculation one way or the other helpful.

**either way I find the numb-nuts driving their 4x4's much more dangerous than anything else in SA

Edited by Pofkat

15 hours ago, Wannabe said:

How would you have avoided it when a bakkie pulls infront of you, chap on the back jumps off and grab your bike, and the chap in the passenger side of the vehicle jumps out and comes for you, possibly armed?

My first instinct was to fight, but when the chap came at me from the side, I let my bike go. Chap who grabbed it initialy, threw it into the loadbin and jumped in, chap no 2 jumped on the back of the bakkie and the driver gunned it, leaving me standing lost next to the road. All of this in less than 30 seconds.

So Mr Paraat, what would have done to avoid this or retain possession of your bike? 

Clearly it depend on the situation and you probably wouldn't have enough time to attempt anything.  How fast were you going, how many vehicles around etc etc?  When you saw the idiot starting braking in front of you, was it not an option to turn around and pedal like hell in the opposite direction?

Edit:  If that was the only vehicle around and starting to slow down in front of you, its pretty obvious they up to no good ... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheoG

2 hours ago, Pofkat said:

..... Every situation is unique. There is no cut-and-dried rule.

Each to his own. You do you.

*for the record. I mostly cycle alone. MTB and road. ....

Spot on.  Each and every incident is different.

I have had two guys step off the pavement and try to grab my bike .... reading these threads, and bing alert saved me on that day.  I had already geared down, and gone FULL boost .... as they stepped of the pavement I STOOD on the pedals and shot forward !!  I aimed straight at them .... they quickly jumped back.  In hindsight ... It would have been a saver bet to turn around.

Yesterday, coming down Polkadraai, towards to flat at the bottom .... three guys walking on the shoulder ..... I was going to turn right in a 100m in any case .... no traffic behind, so I waited till the last, then moved over to the shoulder on the right.  I have no idea if this was a potential incident, just no need risk it when then are other options.

PS - I also ride alone

14 minutes ago, 117 said:

You okes all missed it. 

Where in Bloem is the OP going to bust a downhill trail on his HT? That place is so flat you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. 

Then you can also see the thugs from a mile away .... :)