Is this dangerous?

BrettS

Hey all, looking for some advice and/or to find out if this is common? 

I assume the damage was caused by mud and stones that were caked to my tyres. It was really bad at Buffels on Saturday. 

Removed my rear wheel today to give it a thorough clean and noticed the raw aluminum. 

Any idea what can be done? 

20220522_172152.jpg

20220522_172202.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't ride when it's muddy? :P

A rim with a narrower inner width could also help, I noticed when I went from 25mm to 30mm the clearance of the tire was less and it caused the same issue.

4 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

If you look carefully at most mtbs at any given place close to half of them will look like that at those exact same spots.

Don't sweat it , eventually every single mtb I've had have had (joh) those blemishes on the chainstays

Is it okay to just leave the raw aluminum exposed like that? 

5 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Don't ride when it's muddy? :P

A rim with a narrower inner width could also help, I noticed when I went from 25mm to 30mm the clearance of the tire was less and it caused the same issue.

Hahaha definitely cannot avoid the mud but at certain points in the ride my wheels completely locked up. It looked like I was riding a fat bike. 

Only have my 30mm rims so couldn't switch anything prior to the race + it had only rained the night before 😋

Really not an issue at all, just cosmetic, if it really bothers, smaller tyres or smaller internal width on your rims could help, but I wouldn’t sweat it

All my bikes look much worse as I like squeezing the biggest tyre I can 😅

6 minutes ago, AkwA said:

Really not an issue at all, just cosmetic, if it really bothers, smaller tyres or smaller internal width on your rims could help, but I wouldn’t sweat it

All my bikes look much worse as I like squeezing the biggest tyre I can 😅

Okay great, that's a relief. 

I swapped out the original Schawlbe wicked wills and put a brand new set of 2.4 maxxis tyres on 😂 looks like I have to get a different set of tyres for different riding conditions. 

7 hours ago, BrettS said:

Okay great, that's a relief. 

I swapped out the original Schawlbe wicked wills and put a brand new set of 2.4 maxxis tyres on 😂 looks like I have to get a different set of tyres for different riding conditions. 

Leave the 2.4 Maxxis on the front and swap the rear for a narrower tyre.

31 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Leave the 2.4 Maxxis on the front and swap the rear for a narrower tyre.

Thanks Rolf. 

I tried google but perhaps I am searching with the wrong phrases.

Is there any point at which one can wear right through the aluminum? How far is too far and it just becomes flimsy? 

Edited by BrettS

45 minutes ago, BrettS said:

Thanks Rolf. 

I tried google but perhaps I am searching with the wrong phrases.

Is there any point at which one can wear right through the aluminum? How far is too far and it just becomes flimsy? 

probably a few 10,000 km's in the mud before you wear through 🤔 If you ever do that you should have the rear triangle chromed and mounted as a trophy to your powerful legs..

You'll be fine. however if you are really worried you should get a new bike just in case.

9 hours ago, BrettS said:

Is it okay to just leave the raw aluminum exposed like that? 

I see many guys with polished frames riding around ( obviously there's some layer that provides the shine) and none of my frames ever failed there.

I'm no metals expect but don't think its a problem

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it. 

Going to get a narrower rear tyre.
I have gloss black rustoleum at home so will give that a bash. Next will be nail polish.

Any idea what would have happened if it was carbon?