Is this dangerous?

BrettS

1 minute ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Ah, ya, sometimes that happens 🤣

I tried hahaha I like to be prepared. The weather definitely foiled my preparations, I would have done a heck of a lot better if it was dry.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

This is one reason doing events is silly..... You pay, the weather is rubbish, you feel obligated to go and then you wreck stuff and pay thousands of ZAR on new bearings and and and

If you don't enter events, you just don't ride in gunk and your stuff lasts forever. 

Events.... pffft.

They just cost money in so many ways.

Then again, those are the memories that last many years. Of all the rides I have done in races the ones I still remember vividly are the ones that had extreme heat or rain/mud. The prefect days were more enjoyable on the day, but if you like building memories, k@kking af every now and then is worth it.

I think it was @Mamil or  @Wayne pudding Mol or someone that once conferred onto us the wisdom that ‘bike parts are now too expensive to ride in the rain and mud’.

After K2C 2019 i agree. Drivetrains were meant to last longer than 100km lol. They should put some ‘white ghost drivetrains on crosses’ next to that route for all the groupsets that died that day haha.

i still enjoy riding in the rain on the road though. Makes me feel like a kid again, so i dont shy away from those if theres no proper reason.

Edited by MORNE

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I think it was @Mamil or  @Wayne pudding Mol or someone that once conferred onto us the wisdom that ‘bike parts are now too expensive to ride in the rain and mud’.

After K2C 2019 i agree. Drivetrains were meant to last longer than 100km lol. They should put some ‘white gost drivetrains on crosses’ next to that route for all the groupsets that died that day haha.

i still enjoy riding in the rain on the road though. Makes me feel like a kid again, so i dont shy away from those if theres no proper reason.

100km... About R2.50 per km... Still cheaper than a car though!

2 hours ago, Delarey said:

Then again, those are the memories that last many years. Of all the rides I have done in races the ones I still remember vividly are the ones that had extreme heat or rain/mud. The prefect days were more enjoyable on the day, but if you like building memories, k@kking af every now and then is worth it.

I somewhat agree hahaha not enough time has passed for me to look back on it with a smile.

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

100km... About R2.50 per km... Still cheaper than a car though!

Keen to know what drive trains these were? :lol:
If my calculations are correct the GX drive train (cranks and all) would be roughly R100 per km if it only lasted 100km. 

18 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

This is one reason doing events is silly..... You pay, the weather is rubbish, you feel obligated to go and then you wreck stuff and pay thousands of ZAR on new bearings and and and

If you don't enter events, you just don't ride in gunk and your stuff lasts forever. 

Events.... pffft.

They just cost money in so many ways.

Thing is just that I know a fair number of riders that unless they are 'training for something' find it hard to motivate themselves to go out and ride ... So if they not 'racing' they invariably end up not riding.

Not everyone is a 'shoo wah' hipster, baggy, secret sock ride to be free type bru 😜

4 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Thing is just that I know a fair number of riders that unless they are 'training for something' find it hard to motivate themselves to go out and ride ... So if they not 'racing' they invariably end up not riding.

Not everyone is a 'shoo wah' hipster, baggy, secret sock ride to be free type bru 😜

hahahaha Well they need to have a serious look at their lives then.... pfft

I did 2 races last year.... Argus and a 200 mile trail run.

Both were thoroughly enjoyable. I have not yet opened my account this year but the Around the Pot 200 looks like a good start. 

21 hours ago, BrettS said:

I somewhat agree hahaha not enough time has passed for me to look back on it with a smile.

I did a ride at Rosemary Hill where we had to stop every 500m to clear the mud. I wil NEVER go there again after rain.

I did not enjoy it at all and neither did my bike 

23 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

I did a ride at Rosemary Hill where we had to stop every 500m to clear the mud. I wil NEVER go there again after rain.

I did not enjoy it at all and neither did my bike 

Is there a 'don't ride here after the rain' forum topic? 

P.s: thanks for the heads up re. Rosemary hill. So many people have recommended it but will make sure not to ride it after the rain.

Edited by BrettS

18 minutes ago, BrettS said:

Is there a 'don't ride here after the rain' forum topic? 

P.s: thanks for the heads up re. Rosemary hill. So many people have recommended it but will make sure not to ride it after the rain.

If you do the Chicken sections they are mostly OK-ish. The Bull section called Aloes & Thorns, I believe,  was the most insane mud I have ever experienced. I will try and find some photos.

When it is dry it is very enjoyable.

6 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

If you do the Chicken sections they are mostly OK-ish. The Bull section called Aloes & Thorns, I believe,  was the most insane mud I have ever experienced. I will try and find some photos.

When it is dry it is very enjoyable.

Keen to see what you encountered :lol:
Rosemary is a bit of a drive so would have to make sure the conditions are good (sound like a sissy I know) but the bike and I need some time to recover.

Edited by BrettS

This is the exact reason I have 0 interest in riding ridiculously expensive drivetrain components (or even suspension for that matter). Ever-so-slightly quicker shifting and a few grams saved, but you're too scared to take the trailer queen out when its moist? Yeah nah yeah.

Mud, don't talk to me about mud.....

(If you got the very subtle Hitchiker's Guide reference there, please be my friend)

VideoCapture_20211004-135008-01.jpeg.9003edf38c16ea67e9e77faa029bea76.jpeg

VideoCapture_20211004-135039-01.jpeg.0d7a1460bca63ddf4c1508bada6782c3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

This is the exact reason I have 0 interest in riding ridiculously expensive drivetrain components (or even suspension for that matter). Ever-so-slightly quicker shifting and a few grams saved, but you're too scared to take the trailer queen out when its moist? Yeah nah yeah.

Mud, don't talk to me about mud.....

(If you got the very subtle Hitchiker's Guide reference there, please be my friend)

Happy towel day!

In that kind of muddy conditions, one of those cheap pressure sprayers works wonders when you back at the car. I also tend to have my hydration pack on in these days, more to keep warm, but I have used the water to rinse the mud off on the trail on a few occasions.