Sludge for Roadies. Opinions

FanieFiets

So I saw this sludge like sealant that you can use for road tyres.  After asking the salesman he said that it is useless because you lose to much pressure. Second shop the guy said that it works better than mtb tyres because the higher pressure makes it seal faster.

In the race the following to a guy in front of me got a puncture and yellow goo sprayed out of his tyre. Near the end of the race I rode up to him and asked if he know he had a puncture earlier to which he replied no. The proof is in the pudding?

Are any of you using this? How much will it effect the rolling resistance? I have had a couple of races ruined because of punctures. Want to know if you think the trade-off is worth it.

Hi Fanie

I can't see how rolling resistance would be affected, but anything you put in the tyre is going to be additional weight, right where you want it least.

If you are puncturing regularly, it's one of two things: either it's you or your tyres.  By which I mean, either you aren't helping them, possibly by running too low a pressure, which I don't really think is likely, or you are riding "heavy", not unweighting over bumps like cateyes and uneven tar.  Some tyres are better than others at resisting punctures.

I use it on the 555EXPRESS and 10 kms before the end of the WCE we punctured - had a bit of goo spray over the frame, legs and on my shoes but still made it to the end without stopping.

Only 2 big disadvantage

1. When the stuff gets old (6 - 8 months) it does not work and best to throw tube away.

2. When you do puncture with old stuff or cut the tire - man it is beeg time messy.

Hi Fanie

I can't see how rolling resistance would be affected' date=' but anything you put in the tyre is going to be additional weight, right where you want it least.

If you are puncturing regularly, it's one of two things: either it's you or your tyres.  By which I mean, either you aren't helping them, possibly by running too low a pressure, which I don't really think is likely, or you are riding "heavy", not unweighting over bumps like cateyes and uneven tar.  Some tyres are better than others at resisting punctures.

[/quote']

Ek het bedoel die die wiele is swaarder so hulle resist die urge om te rol so bietjie meer. Verskoon maar asb. ek is net 'n afrikaanse laaitie van die platteland!  Dis nie dat ek so baie puncture nie, maar dis darem baie simpel wanneer jy wel puncture.

Wat ek wil weet is hoeveel dit jou spoed affekteer. Ek het 'n sl*g gehoog as jy gewig by pedals of wiele bysit kan jy dit met 2 maal om die regte effek te kry. Is dit about reg om laat dit jou baie stadiger voel?

MDK555 - Thnx, So you would recommend using it? What effect does have on the express, it doesnt downgrade it to transnet train?
FanieFiets2006-10-31 22:34:13

Hi Fanie

For a long time I was the opposite of a weight weenie.  I figured that as a weekend warrior I was never going to need to worry about a couple of 100grams here or there.

The biggest change came when I went from some indestructible but heavy Vittoria Rubino Intrepid tyres to Conti GP 3000's.  That single change transformed the way my bike felt.  The Vittorias made the bike feel sluggish.

The reason is rotational intertia (jammer Fanie, maar ek gaan glad nie probeer om DIT in Afrikaans to vertaal nie!).  Anything that rotates needs to be spun up to speed as well as accelerated along a straight line.  Just like a flywheel in an engine smooths out the pulses, but in this case you want to reduce mass.

So, anything that rotates needs to be made as light is it can, and the further weight is from the axle the more important it is.  A light wheel hub will make almost zero difference to rotational inertie, but a light rim will make a large difference.

Also, it won't affect speed but acceleration.  You will feel more of a difference climbing than rolling along the flats, and you will feel the difference if you are having to do a lot of accelerations.

Bikemonster - Thnx. so in one word. should I use it?

Daemon - I already use force/attack and GP4000.....Must say i never had very few punctures with them.

Fanie

In a word?  Hell, I don't do one word answers!

If you are worried about punctures, use it.

If you are worried about speed, do not use it.

Fanie. Die tjoop met slime alreeds in kos R50 elk. Dis bykans niks swaarder as 'n gewone tjoop. Dis as jy dit nou nie vergelyk met die superlight dun goedtjies.

Jy sal nie weet van 'n gewig verskil.

I use slimy tubes for training, they cost slightly more but this cost is made up for in less tube replacement's for puntures. Plus i have tyre liners.

I use slimy tubes for training' date=' they cost slightly more but this cost is made up for in less tube replacement's for puntures. Plus i have tyre liners. [/quote']

Liners on your roadbike?? Never knew you could get them, must be heavy.

Pobably does add something to weight, but then it still beats the time taken to replace a tube.

I use it on the 555EXPRESS and 10 kms before the end of the WCE we punctured - had a bit of goo spray over the frame' date=' legs and on my shoes but still made it to the end without stopping.

Only 2 big disadvantage

1. When the stuff gets old (6 - 8 months) it does not work and best to throw tube away.

2. When you do puncture with old stuff or cut the tire - man it is beeg time messy.

[/quote']

Where did you buy this and what is it called..

I had 2 punctures the Weekend at WCE..

Do any of you guys use these tyre liners you can buy. LBS told me to get these plastic type tyre liners.. Do they work

I would really try anything now after those 2 punctures within 10 minutes of each other.