12mm to 15mm thru axle adapter

Groot_Trek

Afternoon 

I have a set of old carbon wheels that I want to use to convert my mountain bike for faster marathon gravel riding (eg only riding sinkplaatpad etc so no gnarly terrain).  The fork on mountain bike and current wheels are 15mm thru axle but the wheels I want to install has a 12mm thru axle hub.  The answer to me seems obvious that one should be able to use a reducer on the fork to be able to accept a 12mm thru axle.    youtube seems to indicate it is something that exists but my searches trying to find this in SA has not delivered much.  Has anyone does this and any advice on where to find such reducers or conversion "shim"?

Thanks in advance

Simple, did this conversion in December, find your nearest engeneering shop, ask them to turn a new set of bushes. 

One bush will just be a sleeve, the other will be threaded inside and outside

NB, Make sure you get the right thread pitch.

Cost me 200 bucks 

What hubs? The easiest solution would be hub adapters if they're available.

Interesting idea - engineering option sounds cost effective, will also look into that

Edited by Bellisimo
Spelling

Thanks for the advice

i must admit the hub adapter option did not cross my mind. It is novatec hubs but as most things these day I assume stock may be an issue, but will investigate if there are adapters available

The engineering route may be the quickest and most cost effective, thanks for the idea

2 hours ago, Groot_Trek said:

Thanks for the advice

i must admit the hub adapter option did not cross my mind. It is novatec hubs but as most things these day I assume stock may be an issue, but will investigate if there are adapters available

The engineering route may be the quickest and most cost effective, thanks for the idea

I had a similar issue when going from 12mm to 15mm. Cape Cycles were waiting for stock so LBS very kindly drilled mine out to 15. Worked fine until I could buy a used hub. Chat to Loyd at Cape Cycles maybe they have.

3 hours ago, Groot_Trek said:

Thanks for the advice

Pretty sure you can just drill the adapters out then. Find someone with a lathe and a 15mm bit.

Thanks for the replies - I am maybe a bit slow but what did you drill out, the hub body/flanges to convert the hub to accept a 15mm thru axle?

I am thinking if still using a 12mm thru axle and keeping the hub as is and only altering the frame, eg I need to reduce the frame’s threaded holes from 15 to 12mm

Please help me right if I am misunderstanding, I dont really care if I have to use 12 or 15mm thru axle, would prefer to use 15 so would like to understand what you guys altered

thanks!

1 hour ago, Groot_Trek said:

Thanks for the replies - I am maybe a bit slow but what did you drill out, the hub body/flanges to convert the hub to accept a 15mm thru axle?

I am thinking if still using a 12mm thru axle and keeping the hub as is and only altering the frame, eg I need to reduce the frame’s threaded holes from 15 to 12mm

Please help me right if I am misunderstanding, I dont really care if I have to use 12 or 15mm thru axle, would prefer to use 15 so would like to understand what you guys altered

thanks!

We drilled out the end caps/adapters. The Hub could already accept 15mm.

Try https://forkmods.com. I was hesitant at first (shipping, timing, payment issues) but after costing a local engineering solution and comparing with these guys I gave them a chance. I was blown away by the service and couldn’t endorse them more… Not sure if they have what you’re after but they are constantly adding new products for various hub/fork configurations. Good luck. 

Oh, just to add, I bought a 3T gravel fork conversion kit so I could run an old 15mm mtb wheelset on my Open U.P. gravel machine.

3 hours ago, Groot_Trek said:

thanks!

Novatec MTB hubs can all take 15mm axles, so you'll just need to drill out the adapters. Way easier than faffing about with inserts for fork dropouts.