SRAM guide vs G2

MTBRIDER1234

Howzit everyone, I am wondering which of the two brakes you think is better. I define better as the best value, power and feel. I have heard that the G2 is a lot better from some people and others have said they noticed little to no difference.

I am really curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on the two brakes - currently leaning towards the G2, as it has slightly more power and is newer, but definitely open to options.

G@ has redesigned internals for better consistency and solved the seal issue that caused sometimes slow lever return. If your Guides have been updated post 2018 then they're essentially at G2 update

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

G@ has redesigned internals for better consistency and solved the seal issue that caused sometimes slow lever return. If your Guides have been updated post 2018 then they're essentially at G2 update

Thanks bru, just wondering if there is a power difference between them or not really?

Just now, Headshot said:

Don't touch either they both lack power compared to cheaper Shimano.

They might, but shi(t)mano spares are impossible to get and they have zero modulation

I’m was very happy with the brake force produced by the Guide Ultimate I have. The force does build up progressively as you apply more leverage at the lever unlike Shimano that applies everything within the first few mm of piston movement 

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

I’m was very happy with the brake force produced by the Guide Ultimate I have. The force does build up progressively as you apply more leverage at the lever unlike Shimano that applies everything within the first few mm of piston movement 

Ok shot bru, I don't like how shimano is all or nothing... Not very good for slow techy descents IMHO

Modulation is in your finger. If you have issues with Shimano braking you need to work on your braking skills. Cheaper, more power and no brake fluid. It's simple really.

24 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Modulation is in your finger. If you have issues with Shimano braking you need to work on your braking skills. Cheaper, more power and no brake fluid. It's simple really.

Yeah to a point... I had shimanos and were able to ride fine with them, just prefer Sram. 

But again parts for shimano is irritating

Also thanks for your involvement in this thread and I guess to each their own..

21 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahahaha

The old SRAM v Shimano brake chestnut again!

The answer is 650B!

Well  I do ride 650B haha...

If we had to measure stopping time I bet there would be a sparrows fart difference between mist braking systems under normal usage. They all have similar mechanical advantage.

everything we perceive to be different is in the intangible’s and subtle design differences 

12 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

If we had to measure stopping time I bet there would be a sparrows fart difference between mist braking systems under normal usage. They all have similar mechanical advantage.

everything we perceive to be different is in the intangible’s and subtle design differences 

And being able to find spare lever blades for when you crash them off, or spare internals if you pop a seal.

14 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Yeah to a point... I had shimanos and were able to ride fine with them, just prefer Sram. 

But again parts for shimano is irritating

Also thanks for your involvement in this thread and I guess to each their own..

other than brake pads, parts for shimano brakes don't exist.

I went from Guide RSC to G2 noticed a big difference in feel and stopping power. G2 use a new type of brake pad as well which has worked well. 

Id recommend the G2s

Whichever you go for, try for the RS model or higher. The swinglink means much more power than the lower end R model. Properly bedding in the discs and pads is vital whichever brakes you go for. I've ridden a set of Codes that felt like they had oil for pads. After sanding the pads and discs and bedding them in properly they were working as they should.

As for Shimano vs SRAM. Love my Codes and my Deore XT