Cheap & Quality Running Shoes

JM Rides Bikes

Hi Hubbers,

Previously I had a pair of the cheapest MRP Sport running shoes but they are no longer cutting it and are about 2 years old.

Example: https://www.mrpsport.com/en_za/begin-running-shoes-7252010382

I'm looking for a pair of cost effective running shoes MAX R1000, however I'm looking for advice on the best QUALITY at that price.

I don't want to buy a pair of name brand shoes that suck

TIA

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, JeanneMichael du Plessis said:

Hi Hubbers,

Previously I had a pair of the cheapest MRP Sport running shoes but they are no longer cutting it and are about 2 years old.

I'm looking for a pair of cost effective running shoes MAX R1000, however I'm looking for advice on the best QUALITY at that price.

TIA

Sorry at that price you going to battle to get good qaulity.  You need to at least double that and then look for 1 or 2 year older models on the known quality brands like Asics, New Balance, Nike, Hoka etc ...

you can look at the the factory outlet stores, they have sales now and again, could pick up a decent pair for ~ 1500

13 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Yip, I go shopping at the NEWBALANCE factory outlet and buy the  "old stock", still perfect.

They do extra width so it suits me perfect.

Same here, and if the online price is lower than instore, I push them to match

30 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Yip, I go shopping at the NEWBALANCE factory outlet and buy the  "old stock", still perfect.

They do extra width so it suits me perfect.

This. They'll even give you a further discount if you ask nicely. 

if you are in GP, find yourself a decathlon, they have a few options under a grand. I know 2 guys that went top 10 in sky run with decathlon shoes

You may want to give more information on whether you have had a running assessment done and know what type of shoe you are looking for i.e neutral

Also what sort of distances you run or looking to run.? No point telling you this type of shoe is good, if is only suitable for 5-10kms and you are looking to do marathons and high mileage.

1 hour ago, shaper said:

You may want to give more information on whether you have had a running assessment done and know what type of shoe you are looking for i.e neutral

Also what sort of distances you run or looking to run.? No point telling you this type of shoe is good, if is only suitable for 5-10kms and you are looking to do marathons and high mileage.

Good point, no assessment done.

Mostly trying to run 5-10 km regularly and the odd 21.1km

3 hours ago, JeanneMichael du Plessis said:

Hi Hubbers,

TIA

2 years is good for running shoes, DEPENDING on the mileage.

mrp works for me.

but that's me!

Sportsmans is having their yellow ticket sale, if you have Disco you can score some more discount. But you should be able to pick something up around the R1k mark without.

1 hour ago, JeanneMichael du Plessis said:

Good point, no assessment done.

Mostly trying to run 5-10 km regularly and the odd 21.1km

Would recommend getting an assessment done, can even get it done at Sportsmans.  Then you can start narrowing down the type of shoes within price range or slightly more.  If shoes going to last you 2 years then the investment will be worth it.

Most runners change shoes every 800km or so.  Some high end shoes don't last that long, others and if a light runner will get considerably more.

15 minutes ago, shaper said:

Would recommend getting an assessment done, can even get it done at Sportsmans.  Then you can start narrowing down the type of shoes within price range or slightly more.  If shoes going to last you 2 years then the investment will be worth it.

Most runners change shoes every 800km or so.  Some high end shoes don't last that long, others and if a light runner will get considerably more.

I am aware of the 800km guide used by many people, but I know often exceed that. But then I also never really ran much more than 15km at a time.

Life has changed a bit and I now regularly run 20-25km.  What do you look out for in terms of determining when your shoes are done for? OP says his shoes are 2 years old. At 10km once a week, that’s over 1000km