Cheap & Quality Running Shoes

JM Rides Bikes

Good quality shoes that are from a reputable brand from a year or 2 ago is no issue in my opinion. They will keep you running comfy and help with injuries.

If you are chasing pb's /wins then you cannot deny the shoe doping that will have you running in carbon plated shoes, there is no way around that.

Running in MrP/Pep/no name shoes is dangerous in my opinion, as dangerous as thinking you can run in shoes till the sole is worn through...

As for sponsored athletes and equipment, do not believe a single part of it. Just because it is a branded bottle, doesn't mean that brand is actually in the bottle. Also what works for a pro will potentially not work for you. Carbon soles for a 2:30 marathoner great, but for a 90kg 5 hour marathoner they do nothing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/30/2022 at 2:44 PM, Frosty said:

Am I missing something here?
Shoes are the only contact point between you and the road/trail/treadmill.
Why would someone want to skimp on quality?

Not saying the cheap shoes aren't quality, and that brand names aren't. One would think that to prevent injury, shoes and technique are two of the most important factors to limit getting injured.

I certainly wouldn't buy a cheap saddle, bib shorts, gloves and shoes when those are the major contact points on a bike.

Some genetically talented runners can get away with running in plakkies, while those not so genetically talented runners need some form of biomechanical assistance, this is multiplied by the distance run. 

That being said

I have orthotics plus ASICS gel kayano’s (kayano are probably ASICS most expensive support shoe) and very rarely run more than 8km in one run nowadays, and I still get all sorts of knee and feet aches n pains….

Where can I buy some of these cheap Mr Price wonder shoes 😁

17 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Some genetically talented runners can get away with running in plakkies, while those not so genetically talented runners need some form of biomechanical assistance, this is multiplied by the distance run. 

That being said

I have orthotics plus ASICS gel kayano’s (kayano are probably ASICS most expensive support shoe) and very rarely run more than 8km in one run nowadays, and I still get all sorts of knee and feet aches n pains….

Where can I buy some of these cheap Mr Price wonder shoes 😁

Makes me think back in the days when I was unaware that running was for prey only ... I struggled and stumbled from one kind of shoe to another and still struggled with injuries. I even went to that fellow that cut the telephone books up ...

My older boet on the other hand just ran in whatever shoes were on special ... And he was a multi Comrades silver medalist and 15th at Long Tom marathon

Unfortunately he had a bad car accident that eventually forced him to stop running else I'm sure he would have had a go at those homemade 'Huarache' running slops even!

P1030577-300x225.jpg

On 6/30/2022 at 3:52 PM, Jewbacca said:

My take on this is a bit different.

I'm currently doing a bit of an experiment with shoes. While I am no pro, I cover a fair amount of KM and do some big runs by anyone's standard.

I was a bit bummed with the price of shoes. Brand's top models are about R1000 more per pair than they were 2 years ago. I know, COVID, stock shortage etc.... SO.....

I looked at some stats. 

Last sub3 marathon 2017

Fastest trail 100 miler 2008

Fastest marathon 2008

Fastest half 2004

Fastest 100km 2011

SO.... With all my fastest times a decade in the past, do I need this years shoes at this years prices?

Simply put, no. I was faster on much older shoes. 

So with that in mind, I have been buying last years model or previous previous model shoes at massively discounted prices.

I knocked out a 327km non stop trail run last year on shoes released in 2019. 

So my point is that while one can look at it as skimping, or one can look at it and buy smart, as the reality is that for most of us, our performance bottle neck is not last years shoes

The bold bit makes 100% sense, and I agree. I would also do the same. 

8 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Reminds me of that time Rob Rorich nearly won the Lionheart (sprinting up and down Lion's head) in sandals. Only reason he didn't is because he swopped the sandals for a pair of Onitsuka Tiger sneakers in the final round - and winning the race.

There are a few scientific studies around carbon plated shoes. Long gone are the days where records and wins will happen in non carbon plated shoes. 

Just running in any old shoe is perfectly fine for the average Joe just looking not to get injured running a little bit each week. Those sandals will get you injured or set you back. 

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

There are a few scientific studies around carbon plated shoes. Long gone are the days where records and wins will happen in non carbon plated shoes. 

Just running in any old shoe is perfectly fine for the average Joe just looking not to get injured running a little bit each week. Those sandals will get you injured or set you back. 

I'm not sure I agree about the sandals. It does depend how you go about your business. Guys run comrades barefoot and coach Dion has been running fast and successfully both trail and road in those sandals for years. 

It depends how you go about it. I have a pair of the VeganX sandals I use for 10-15km easy runs in summer and I enjoy them. 

16 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm not sure I agree about the sandals. It does depend how you go about your business. Guys run comrades barefoot and coach Dion has been running fast and successfully both trail and road in those sandals for years. 

It depends how you go about it. I have a pair of the VeganX sandals I use for 10-15km easy runs in summer and I enjoy them. 

But would you toe the line of mac mac 200miler with them? I may be wrong here. But when last was comrades, London ,Boston, Berlin or any major marathon won in sandals? 

Even on the trail scene,utmb, Western states, hardrock, spine race. When last did sandals win there? 

I also think great in summer, but when skyrun decides it is going to do skyrun things and you end up running in 0deg Temps. You gonna have gloves on your hands and sacrifice a toe or 2?

Not saying you can't run fast in them. I was sub 18min 5km barefoot back in high school. But you will be faster in carbon plate doping shoes.

3 hours ago, dave303e said:

But would you toe the line of mac mac 200miler with them? I may be wrong here. But when last was comrades, London ,Boston, Berlin or any major marathon won in sandals? 

Even on the trail scene,utmb, Western states, hardrock, spine race. When last did sandals win there? 

I also think great in summer, but when skyrun decides it is going to do skyrun things and you end up running in 0deg Temps. You gonna have gloves on your hands and sacrifice a toe or 2?

Not saying you can't run fast in them. I was sub 18min 5km barefoot back in high school. But you will be faster in carbon plate doping shoes.

My point was more about 'Those sandals will set you back'.. I'm not talking about winning things or going super long in them. Most people don't really do more than 15km trail runs. 

So I guess I was saying that they definitely have their place.

BUT...

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a28422524/vol-state-teva-sandal-wearing-winner/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/marathon-runner-wins-two-high-11457396

https://espiritu.com/blogs/culture/tarahumara-woman-won-ultramarathon-running-in-sandals

hahahaha I don't believe in using extremes or outliers to prove a point but 'pinch of salt' stuff....

I do agree that carbon plated shoes will always be faster on the road for already fast athletes. For average athletes the benefits are questionable

On 7/2/2022 at 7:30 AM, SwissVan said:

I bought a pair of Kayano's and a new garmin. It says I'm still useless. It's definitely the shoes.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I had a close call last night. Night run on Helderberg, stepped on a fallen palm. One of the thorns went through the sole of my shoe, between my sock and the sock liner, and then broke off. Didn't pierce the skin, but had to stop to remove it, and couldn't get the thorn out of the sole. Walked out and pulled it out in reverse gear with needle nose pliers. 

Could have been so much different.

Fortunately the run was very lekker.