Freedom Challenge 2022

dave303e

22 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

*Off Topic* but anyone currently also Dot Watching the Tour Divide some atrocious weather conditions this year. I've also been following their Facebook Group as some riders seem to post all their updates & stories there from Mechanicals where they got a ride into town stayed over night to get to the bike shop the next day, repairs, replacements, warranties, then get driven back to where they last stopped pedaling so they can resume to why they had to withdraw, Sear And Rescue (SAR) working around the clock, etc.

Tour divide is proper. Big country racing. 

I have a few mates who have toe'd the start line. Some  more than once. 

My favourite protagonist is Alexandera Houchin. She just epitomises what these races/adventures are all about

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by Alex's current position, looks like he took the route around Lehana's and is busy climbing Naudes, which is allowed.

Been watching Paul Moxley for the last couple of hours bundu bash.

image.jpeg.ae7047ff68afdd5796a83946f2989239.jpeg

2 hours ago, TyronLab said:

How much leniency or allowed variability is there in the route? Is it like Munga where you have to be exactly on course all the time, or is there more flexibility?

Trying to just manage a frame bag and cycling GPS in the mud and rain was a mission for me, I can't imagine having to manage a paper printed map. The amount of times you stop and go "where the **** am I? This makes no sense" must be crazy.

you figure out a map fairly easily, just make sure you always know exactly where you are(also helps to have an hons degree in geographical information). Sadly it is also a massive confidence thing, for the not so natural navigators you can take a person out the race with a few small comments and the one or 2 mistakes everyone will make. It also helps riding within your means. 1 thing following a map when you are on the limit, another when you just cruising along.

I think as well, having the maps before hand to prepare and having the notes, you can ID sections to relax and sections where you need to focus. 

This event always had a strong following on Bikehub in the past, pity that it is not so popular these days as I am in awe of the guys and girls that do this race. I see the weather has taken a rather large toll this year particularly on the racing batch.

What happened to Woolnough and Harris? Both scratched close to 600km, between water points. Both guys I have had the honour of meeting and I was watching closely. Real pity.

Also, I'm pretty stoked that in a sea of middle class white dudes, Omphile has travelled the second furthest distance and is still positive AF? Awesome!

Edited by TyronLab

2 hours ago, TyronLab said:

What happened to Woolnough and Harris? Both scratched close to 600km, between water points. Both guys I have had the honour of meeting and I was watching closely. Real pity.

Also, I'm pretty stoked that in a sea of middle class white dudes, Omphile has travelled the second furthest distance and is still positive AF? Awesome!

Harris mom got ill and Woolnough fell and injured himself. I think that's what I heard

Been some great rides this RASA including a couple of forum members.

One has to feel though for Bruce Biccard, on course for the win but Stettyns had the final say.

Well done to Enslin on his win.

• 5 weeks later...

there is still space for people to ride the Summer RASA 2022.

If you ever wanted to to this event, but were a bit daunted by it -  I reckon the october is way more manageable.

more day light - get to see more views too

the absolute freezing sections will be warmer, this is a much bigger concession than having some hotter days and conserving water bottles

can carry slightly less gear

The intention is to have an october race every second year, but it goes on demand - so it would be nice if those on the fence could get on the startline as it might not be repeated!

https://www.freedomchallenge.org.za/race-across-south-africa

(entry = R44k, before you ask)

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, blondeonabike said:

Shebeen are you doing it?

I'm always doing it "next year" really need to do this summer version, i hate the extreme cold.

16 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I'm always doing it "next year" really need to do this summer version, i hate the extreme cold.

If it's a niggle for you it's not going to go away until you give it a scratch. I also hate the cold.  

Edited by blondeonabike

On 9/20/2022 at 12:23 AM, blondeonabike said:

Hello Swiss! I'm good just busy. Still riding. And you?

Good to hear

moi… getting fat 😂

take care 👍