KMC X 12 Any good

Wobble07

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

I was under the impression that rotating chains between 0,25 and 0,5% would increase the life span of the cassette and chain ring.

at 2 000 km Giant replaced the chain and cassette .... as they said it was the cause of a "ticking noise" (which is was not - but that is a different story).

At nearly 5 000km on the ring and 3 000 km on the chain and cassette the chain was just at 0,25, with no 0,5 measurements along its length.

So I did bought a new chain .... thinking this is the correct thing to extend the life span of the other parts.  Felt perfect around the block.  First ride on the trails I had a slight gritty sound going uphill .... turns out it was a rough sound from the ring when under power.

I was advised that the ring had worn just enough that the new chain was the cause of the sound .... Visually the front ring looks absolutely perfect !!  Put the old chain back and it is SILENT.

Guess now it is time to ride that chain until the drive train goes, then replace it all.

Obviously I am wondering if it would have helped to swop the chain when that first set of links only just showed 0,25 at a tight fit .....

PS - Shimano XT, 1x11, and the ebike KMC chains.

any advise welcome

The problem is that as you wear the chai. You wear the chainring and if you leave this too long it wears the cassette which accelerated the wear of the chain.

if you rotate the chain you should swap Out the chain ring too unless it’s a steel unit. 
swapping out the chain or chain religion as Droo calls it means you swap out a chain every other week or so.

to me the chain ring wear is a factor in chain life so that should be swapped out too or it will just wear two chains faster

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The problem is that as you wear the chai. You wear the chainring and if you leave this too long it wears the cassette which accelerated the wear of the chain.

if you rotate the chain you should swap Out the chain ring too unless it’s a steel unit. 
swapping out the chain or chain religion as Droo calls it means you swap out a chain every other week or so.

to me the chain ring wear is a factor in chain life so that should be swapped out too or it will just wear two chains faster

Thank you.

Would a steel chain ring thus be a better option on an ebike, where the weight penalty is not an issue ?

Where would one get such a steel chain ring ?

OR ... simply replace chains at the first sign of 0,25 ....

15 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Thank you.

Would a steel chain ring thus be a better option on an ebike, where the weight penalty is not an issue ?

Where would one get such a steel chain ring ?

OR ... simply replace chains at the first sign of 0,25 ....

what crank do you have?

14 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

what crank do you have?

36 tooth 104 bcd, (11 speed, narrow wide)

Might be tempted to go for a 38 tooth

Edited by ChrisF

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Ok if 104 BCD then this one should work fine

https://praxiscycles.com/product/ering-steel-mtn-1x-104bcd/

or

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/104-bcd-stainless-steel-chainrings but only 30T and 32T options

SRAM has one too but I don't see it on the CapeCycles website

Thanks bud :thumbup:

Time to pop in at Mark and place an order .....  (no hurry ..... current set to be ridden to its end ....)