Road Bike - Disc or Calipers

Cheese

New road Bike  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Disc or Caliper bike

• Disc brake , 11 speed.
    • Caliper brakes , 10 speed

Hi,

I am looking to replace my old bike that I have been riding from 2009.

So my question is with the new technology around, Do I get an older higher spec( 10speed, dura ace) bike or a newer bike slightly lower spec (disc , 11spd, disc brakes) .

Would it be an issue in 5 years to get spares for the caliper brakes for instance? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a huge difference in the braking of the disk brake systems. Chalk and cheese. Plus, it's definitely going to get tougher to find spares for both 10-speed and rim brakes in the future. Future-proof your purchase.

What are the options you're looking at?

7 minutes ago, Spirog said:

There is a huge difference in the braking of the disk brake systems. Chalk and cheese. Plus, it's definitely going to get tougher to find spares for both 10-speed and rim brakes in the future. Future-proof your purchase.

What are the options you're looking at?

look I'm pro disc brakes and if you're getting a new bike then 11spd or higher is the way to go, but I really dont see spares being an issue on 10 spd or rim brakes for many years to come.

if properly set up and maintained, both brake-types will give you all the braking you'll need.,

discs are newer, 'fancier' and secondhand will attract a higher price

see what's available in your price range, though I suspect, if you're shopping new, discs will be all you'll find these days.

Let us know where the decision lands.

What no one talks about is versatility

Wet, a bit grimy, some sand? Your 40mm race disc wheels don't care. The rotor is away from the muck and the brake force isn't applied to the rim to gauge/tear/damage your precious rims.

Decide to ride a bit of pavement/side road with a gravel patch? Again, no issue no matter what the weather.

So it means you can ride wherever you want without fear of damaging your wheels and for a lot of us means we can have just one set of nice wheels because as above, they don't need babying.

Say what you will about aero, braking power, whatever, but the above is the 'clincher' (sorry) for me.

1 bike, 1 wheel set, no hassles and no regard for being too precious.

Larger volume tires also means some dodge road detours become fun and more accessible and reaffirm the above. 

Disc rotors are a lot cheaper to replace than the brake track on those deep section carbon wheels.

Look, you can still buy square taper bottom brackets. Never mind that, you can still buy cotter pin bottom brackets! It's going to be a loooong time until rim brake parts are no longer available. They are going to be around for many years still. But discs are better, specially in the wet. And you can fit wider tyres. But as you say, for the same money, you get a nicer rim brake bike. Disc brake bike will likely have a better resale though. Entirely your call.

If buying new it makes no sense to buy a caliper brake bike. Not for any of the marketing crap that’s thrown around but simply because it’s where the market is at. 

caliper brake spares will be around a long time. You may not be able to buy zooty dues ace brake pads for much longer but the generics work just fine.

disc rims are more fragile than caliper rims because the weight to strengthen the brake track is removed to keep the weight competitive. Hit a pothole and the disc rims have higher chance of failing than caliper rims. 

your decision isn’t really one of performance but more of convenience. Who would want to buy a new bike where the brakes drag and disc rotor warps? You will replace brake hoods more often as they get saturated with brake oil or DOT fluid. You will wear through pad’s faster. You don’t want to buy a heavier bike because they say it’s faster. 
you buy the bike that is easier to service for you and your lbs. Can they even get Road six spares especially Shimano? The supply shortages will come to an end. At some point but do you want to be hunting for disc brake spares??

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

If buying new it makes no sense to buy a caliper brake bike. Not for any of the marketing crap that’s thrown around but simply because it’s where the market is at. 

caliper brake spares will be around a long time. You may not be able to buy zooty dues ace brake pads for much longer but the generics work just fine.

disc rims are more fragile than caliper rims because the weight to strengthen the brake track is removed to keep the weight competitive. Hit a pothole and the disc rims have higher chance of failing than caliper rims. 

your decision isn’t really one of performance but more of convenience. Who would want to buy a new bike where the brakes drag and disc rotor warps? You will replace brake hoods more often as they get saturated with brake oil or DOT fluid. You will wear through pad’s faster. You don’t want to buy a heavier bike because they say it’s faster. 
you buy the bike that is easier to service for you and your lbs. Can they even get Road six spares especially Shimano? The supply shortages will come to an end. At some point but do you want to be hunting for disc brake spares??

hahahaha

I've had 2 disc road bikes over the last 8 years and never replaced a brake hood. A warped rotor due to what? If you warped a disc rotor, what would you have done to a brake track?

I've also hit many many potholes on my SLR wheels and previous gen rovals and never damaged them more than I would anything else. 

I'm not going to sway the OP with 'one is better than the other' because realistically, millions of people successfully ride both variants daily.

What I won't do is make bogus claims about dot fluid going everywhere 🤣

Or brake rub? Honestly, if you have brake rub then you and/or your mechanic need to be shot or educated. 

These are just things people who are afraid of change say 😋

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahaha

I've had 2 disc road bikes over the last 8 years and never replaced a brake hood. A warped rotor due to what? If you warped a disc rotor, what would you have done to a brake track?

I've also hit many many potholes on my SLR wheels and previous gen rovals and never damaged them more than I would anything else. 

I'm not going to sway the OP with 'one is better than the other' because realistically, millions of people successfully ride both variants daily.

Or brake rub? Honestly, if you have brake rub then you and/or your mechanic need to be shot or educated. 

Something tells me he was searching for Comic Sans Font ... 😋

If anything ... the need to keep up with the Joneses  might result in some nice rim break deals ....

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahaha

bru your brakes don't rub in the lounge

I am still a rim brake advocate, but I have come to realise that you cannot argue with progression. 

So, as much as it pains me to say this, I would go disc. 

I'll probably be lynched for saying it...but what about cable disc and upgrade to hydro calipers like those TRPs = easiest/cheapest balance of parts and maintenance costs, with advantages re brake surface as @Jewbacca mentioned. 

I never thought I'd need or want 11 speed, until I tried to find 10 speed Campag cassettes that I don't have to sell a kidney for, so the answer should factor in the manufacturer. 

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

What no one talks about is versatility

Wet, a bit grimy, some sand? Your 40mm race disc wheels don't care. The rotor is away from the muck and the brake force isn't applied to the rim to gauge/tear/damage your precious rims.

Decide to ride a bit of pavement/side road with a gravel patch? Again, no issue no matter what the weather.

So it means you can ride wherever you want without fear of damaging your wheels and for a lot of us means we can have just one set of nice wheels because as above, they don't need babying.

Say what you will about aero, braking power, whatever, but the above is the 'clincher' (sorry) for me.

1 bike, 1 wheel set, no hassles and no regard for being too precious.

Larger volume tires also means some dodge road detours become fun and more accessible and reaffirm the above. 

soooo a gravel bike

1 hour ago, Sid the Sloth said:

soooo a gravel bike

If you're riding in GP I honestly think a gravel bike will suit the vast majority of riders better than an aero race bike.

Quasi-decent mechanical discs are fitted to even the lower end models and are pretty great these days, the geo won't make your back hurt, it'll most likely come with tubeless wheels and tyres from the floor (even if you're buying lower/mid range) and you always have the option to go with skinnier rubber, whereas you can't go wider than what a frame is designed for.

I'd go disc brake OP. Drivetrain bits are consumable and upgradeable, but your frame's brake type is fixed. You can always upgrade when you replace parts which, seeing as you ride your bikes for 10+ years you'll likely do.