Shimano 105 goes 12-speed with Di2 electronic shifting

News bot

Celebrating its 40th anniversary since its first introduction in 1982, Shimano 105 receives the ultimate upgrade with a move to Di2 electronic shifting technology. The highly anticipated Shimano 105 R7100 group not only delivers Di2 performance to an entirely new range of riders but also offers Shimano’s flagship 12-speed, wireless shifting with easy operation and […]

View full article

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Already complaints on social media about the price for 105 Di2 which is meant to be the people/workhorse groupset. Also no rim brake version

Edited by shaper

18 minutes ago, ScottFoil said:

Would you buy the new Shimano 105 Di2 12spd? 

Or just stick to 105  Ultegra 11spd mechanical?

🙃

30 minutes ago, shaper said:

Already complaints on social media about the price for 105 Di2 which is meant to be the people/workhorse groupset. Also no rim brake version

Rim brake is dying… 

51 minutes ago, shaper said:

I know Magura, and I think SRAM both have hydraulic rim brakes. Surely it would not be difficult for Shimano to use the same hydraulic shifters, and equip the system with rim brakes?

I feel they are missing a part of the market. It is getting harder/more expensive to find compatible shifters (in the event of them breaking or accident damage) for mechanical gears (without changing derailleurs as the pull ratios change) , so personally I would consider going electronic shifting should I need to replace something, but I can't as my bike is rim brake. 

4 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

I know Magura, and I think SRAM both have hydraulic rim brakes. Surely it would not be difficult for Shimano to use the same hydraulic shifters, and equip the system with rim brakes?

I feel they are missing a part of the market. It is getting harder/more expensive to find compatible shifters (in the event of them breaking or accident damage) for mechanical gears (without changing derailleurs as the pull ratios change) , so personally I would consider going electronic shifting should I need to replace something, but I can't as my bike is rim brake. 

the answer is Campagnolo

1 hour ago, ScottFoil said:

Would you buy the new Shimano 105 Di2 12spd? 

Or just stick to 105 11spd mechanical?

tricky question since it liely won't be in stock till 2024 if current supply is anything to go by

37 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

SRAm Hydro+ R brakes here available with the SRAm Red 11s group. They were never brought into SA as far as I know.  I enquired about these two years ago. They're weren't very popular but maybe that will change as people hang onto bikes longer. SRAM already made the 12speed AXS shifters and derailleur (?) compatible with the 11s group since the 11speed shifters were discontinued.

27 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

SRAm Hydro+ R brakes here available with the SRAm Red 11s group. They were never brought into SA as far as I know.  I enquired about these two years ago. They're weren't very popular but maybe that will change as people hang onto bikes longer. SRAM already made the 12speed AXS shifters and derailleur (?) compatible with the 11s group since the 11speed shifters were discontinued.

Which is what I expect - technically electronic shifting should be compatible over multiple speeds as you aren't restricted by pull ratios of the shifter and derailleur needing to correspond. So that improves overall compatibility. SRAM does also have rim brakes in their AXS range (although the shifters are different to the hydo brakes). I feel Shimano could/should have done more here, and as a (relatively straight forward approach) gone with hydro disks 

My guess is R43999 ? 👀 for the few sets Coolheat will bring us?:ph34r:

3067.7g - maybe weighted with the shortest possible crank / smallest chainrings , smallest cassette , shortest chain and no hydraulic hoses , no battery holder.

I predict the rim brake market will be filled by new players to the groupset market, and Tiagra will go 11 speed soon - (still in rim brake)

at R1800 shipped this 11 speed rim partial groupset even makes more sense now :)

Senah

Considering this is meant to be the "workhorse" groupset, the pricing structure is ridiculous and puts it out of the reach of many people. I mean $1400 for a 105 groupset?! 🤢

I wouldn't take it if it was free. I'm so fed up with having to charge so many devices and dying batteries as it is anyway. IMHO, if it's analogue and it works well, it's better than anything with a battery that needs charging or replacing. And its more environmentally friendly. But maybe I'm just the grumpus.

Edited by MudLark