iPhone cameras failing after mounting on handlebars?

guidodg

I have been reading about iPhone cameras failing after mounting on handlebars on mountain bikes.

Apparently the stabilizer and autofocus in the cameras stop working after being subjected to extensive vibrations on the handlebars.
I have just bought the SP Connect mounting system and was wondering if anyone has experiences on this?

True story...

I know of a few that have failed from being mounted on motorbikes, its pretty common. Its mainly the newer ones from iPhone 11 onwards.

I have an old iPhone 5s which I use as a dedicated GPS on my adventure bike, its had a few rough trips and its still works fine.

The new ones dont like vibration at all.

SP Connect sell a specific, small, anti-vibration mount, for iPhones 11 and up, that interfaces between Billet alu handlebar mount, and the SP Connect case…we sell them for motorbikes, it cures (prevents) the problem you mention.

cheers

Chris

You'd expect with what the flipping things cost they'd be more rugged

like waterproof not really needed but splash proof definitely. but some intense vibration come on