Which platform carrier?

Yubbz

Hey guys,

I'm new here - my first post!

Getting back into cycling again for health reasons but live in an area where I am not comfortable cycling from home. This means that I need to cart the bike to where I want to cycle. I have decided on a platform carrier which is fine.... but...

I wanted to ask the forum if they would buy a 2nd had Thule Euroway (There are a couple in classifieds and on gumtree) or getting a new "clone" for a smiliar price.

Any experience with the "clone"?

Thanks in advance

- Kyle

P.S. I hope this is in the right section 🙃

I have used the Thule ones - the one in your link works the best - you strap the wheels down and the arms hold the top of the bike in place - its easy to use and you can put multiple bikes on. this would be my go to option especially if i were transporting more than one bike and over a longer distance

If you are just taking your bike to a starting point, i find that it is WAY easier to drop my back seats and slide the bike in - especially if its a road bike as i dont need to take the front wheel off. I have a little fiat 500 and my road bike fits fine 😁

4 minutes ago, JulienR said:

I have used the Thule ones - the one in your link works the best - you strap the wheels down and the arms hold the top of the bike in place - its easy to use and you can put multiple bikes on. this would be my go to option especially if i were transporting more than one bike and over a longer distance

If you are just taking your bike to a starting point, i find that it is WAY easier to drop my back seats and slide the bike in - especially if its a road bike as i dont need to take the front wheel off. I have a little fiat 500 and my road bike fits fine 😁

Thanks for this. They both look the same, the off brand one just looks like a copy!

Great idea putting the bike in car, this will work for the fortuner but the corolla might be an issue without the hatch (being a sedan). Fuel going up again, the Fortuner will be favoured less and less...

We also camp a lot and I will have a hitch on the trailer for the bikes when we camp...

Seems like Thule and Buzzrack are the ones to go for, one just wonders what the new product has to offer for the price of a 2nd hand branded name.

Thanks for all the input!

2 hours ago, W@nted said:

Have a look at buzz racks as well. Great  value for money. Very happy with mine.

+1 
Got the Buzzrack 4 Eazzy, great value and works really well.

Can never go wrong with a reputable brand. It may cost more but it will almost always comfortably outlast the knock-offs (and be far more user-friendly to use). 

I saved a few bucks going with a second-tier rack once. Paid the school fees and went with a proper rack. Happy now and the extra few grand is long forgotten. 

Mountain or road bikes? 
Thule works best for 3 bikes with roadies. As mtb's are wider, you'll struggle to fit 3 onto the carrier - 2 will be no problem

I also had a problem with the Thule being too low on the towbar (on a fortuner) and the exhaust would emit all its heat/gasses/diesel fumes onto the wheel strapped right next to the exhaust, creating a heard of issues to the tyre etc.

For commuting to your desired area of riding, I would just take a wheel off and chuck it into the back of the car, either the corolla with the seats down, or the fortuner with the left rear seat in the folded up  position.

In my fortuner, I remove the front wheel then wedge the rear wheel into the space between the folded seat and the door. The bike stands up perfectly in the boot with no further tie downs to be done. For distance travelling (and a few people in the car), I remove the left rear seat and can fit 2 bikes into this space available. 

Works for me even when towing a trailer, and its generally less of a bike theft risk on the roads or at the shops

Edited by 117
speeeling

19 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Can never go wrong with a reputable brand. It may cost more but it will almost always comfortably outlast the knock-offs (and be far more user-friendly to use). 

I saved a few bucks going with a second-tier rack once. Paid the school fees and went with a proper rack. Happy now and the extra few grand is long forgotten. 

School fees are expensive! If i may ask, what failed / broke?

I've been using the Holdfast premium sport tilt bike rack and haven't had any issues.
I only have the 2 bike version but they do make a 3 bike option if that is what you need.

Been really impressed with the functionality.

20 minutes ago, 117 said:

Mountain or road bikes? 
Thule works best for 3 bikes with roadies. As mtb's are wider, you'll struggle to fit 3 onto the carrier - 2 will be no problem

I also had a problem with the Thule being too low on the towbar (on a fortuner) and the exhaust would emit all its heat/gasses/diesel fumes onto the wheel strapped right next to the exhaust, creating a heard of issues to the tyre etc.

For commuting to your desired area of riding, I would just take a wheel off and chuck it into the back of the car, either the corolla with the seats down, or the fortuner with the left rear seat in the folded up  position.

In my fortuner, I remove the front wheel then wedge the rear wheel into the space between the folded seat and the door. The bike stands up perfectly in the boot with no further tie downs to be done. For distance travelling (and a few people in the car), I remove the left rear seat and can fit 2 bikes into this space available. 

Works for me even when towing a trailer, and its generally less of a bike theft risk on the roads or at the shops

Thanks for this! My fortuner has a modified bumper and the exhaust now comes out the side - all good there.

I would def try to get the bike in the car and fortuner and I like how you put the bike inside the fortuner. I will need one for longer trips and for camping.

I think for the day to day inside is best with all the advice posted above, and for trips it would seem to get a 2nd hand Thule / Buzzrack.

Oh and the Bike is still being decided on but will be a 29er MTB.

Thanks again

- Kyle

@Yubbz Nothing broke. My old rack was over-engineered (and heavy) but priorly designed. Meaning mounting and removing it was a royal pain in the backside. The bikes (2) didn't really fit properly and you tended to watch the rearview mirror because the Trust Index was low.

So I bought a renowned rack instead and sold the old one. New rack, made in the Northern Hemisphere, west of Ukraine, is an absolute pleasure to use and I even managed to find a torque-limiter (and lockable) clamp for a carbon frame. Quick and easy to mount to car, quick and easy to mount bikes and I have fait that the bikes will stay attached. Th extra money bought a sense of pleasure, instead of dread, when using it. Bargain. 

10 minutes ago, tinmug said:

@Yubbz Nothing broke. My old rack was over-engineered (and heavy) but priorly designed. Meaning mounting and removing it was a royal pain in the backside. The bikes (2) didn't really fit properly and you tended to watch the rearview mirror because the Trust Index was low.

So I bought a renowned rack instead and sold the old one. New rack, made in the Northern Hemisphere, west of Ukraine, is an absolute pleasure to use and I even managed to find a torque-limiter (and lockable) clamp for a carbon frame. Quick and easy to mount to car, quick and easy to mount bikes and I have fait that the bikes will stay attached. Th extra money bought a sense of pleasure, instead of dread, when using it. Bargain. 

Yea, I get it now. They cant design it proper so they throw material at the problem 😁

Thanks for the reply and info, I think that 4 bike from BoatSA is no longer on my list.

5 hours ago, Yubbz said:

Thanks for this. They both look the same, the off brand one just looks like a copy!

Great idea putting the bike in car, this will work for the fortuner but the corolla might be an issue without the hatch (being a sedan). Fuel going up again, the Fortuner will be favoured less and less...

We also camp a lot and I will have a hitch on the trailer for the bikes when we camp...

Seems like Thule and Buzzrack are the ones to go for, one just wonders what the new product has to offer for the price of a 2nd hand branded name.

Thanks for all the input!

I am a Thule fan ....

That said, two things to consider....

1. Two modern MTBs will boost frames and larger shocks struggle to fit next to each other !!   Best take your bikes to the shop and test fit before you buy.

2.  A sedan fuel consumption tanks with bikes on the back .....  on my previous sedan I lost 4 to 5 km/ l ... ouch.   On a MPV, or Fortuner the bike hides in the cars wake and minimal impact on fuel consumption.

Sadly a very high incedense of bike thefts from platform racks .... use a cable lock and make sure your bike insurance is sorted

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

2.  A sedan fuel consumption tanks with bikes on the back .....  on my previous sedan I lost 4 to 5 km/ l ... ouch.   On a MPV, or Fortuner the bike hides in the cars wake and minimal impact on fuel consumption.

Took a 1.5l/100km knock behind the Sportage. Added up over 3000km. 

3 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Took a 1.5l/100km knock behind the Sportage. Added up over 3000km. 

Similar on the RAV4.  Slowing ever so slightly off set that bit ....

On the sedan .... bikes stood tall of the boot lid and was a proper air.brake !!

And if you have a L or XL frame, or have a long wheel base on your bike, the darn thing sticks out left and right of the body of a fortuner which adds to the consumption ... 

Inside the boot for me. Oh, did I mention it's dry in the rain on your way home? 

I can live with a bit of mud inside the car if needed