Creaky headset

Chadvdw67

Hey guys, so my headset has been a bit creaky the last few rides, it is a semi intergrated headset, Cane Creek 40. I took the cups out today, greased them and refitted them, but it seems there may still be a creak, what else can I try if the creak is still there? Would some carbon compound work? Or should I maybe try a bit of loctite? 

39 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Hey guys, so my headset has been a bit creaky the last few rides, it is a semi intergrated headset, Cane Creek 40. I took the cups out today, greased them and refitted them, but it seems there may still be a creak, what else can I try if the creak is still there? Would some carbon compound work? Or should I maybe try a bit of loctite? 

Sorry to be that guy to ask a 'silly question' but are you sure it is not your CSU creaking? I have seen many people blame their headset, when in fact the cause was the all dreaded CSU creak. Double check this or you could end up chasing your tail to no avail.

Hope that helps a bit

52 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Sorry to be that guy to ask a 'silly question' but are you sure it is not your CSU creaking? I have seen many people blame their headset, when in fact the cause was the all dreaded CSU creak. Double check this or you could end up chasing your tail to no avail.

Hope that helps a bit

I’ve been wondering, have an ohlins fork, with a 1 piece csu, have changed everything, from Headset to handlebars to stem, and still creaking, so I’m lost🫠

1 hour ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Hope that helps a bit

Could be that, but no way for me to really check that

1 hour ago, AkwA said:

I’ve been wondering, have an ohlins fork, with a 1 piece csu, have changed everything, from Headset to handlebars to stem, and still creaking, so I’m lost🫠

Yeah bru that sucks; what you can try to do, check if it is indeed the CSU is to flip the bike upside down and spray some lube on the junction between the stanchions and the crown. If the creak goes away for a bit, then you have found your problem.

For a permanent fix then you can get hold of the very elusive penetrating loctite and put a bit of that in the junction as a much more permanent solution. 

Hoping you get to the bottom of that frustrating creak!

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Could be that, but no way for me to really check that

You can check it, as per my above post. Hopefully it helps you get it solved.

The ohlins forks have a 1 piece steerer and csu, there is no merge, so defo not that

1 minute ago, AkwA said:

The ohlins forks have a 1 piece steerer and csu, there is no merge, so defo not that

Yeah, I was talking about the stanchions... pretty sure those can still creak, even with a 1 piece steerer and CSU

1 hour ago, AkwA said:

Maybe where the csu and stanchions connect, all I can think of

Yip that is exactly where I was ralking about. I highly reccomend you try spraying lube where the stanchion meets the crown and see if the creak goes temporarily... it will save you a big headache chasing the creak

Check that the crown race on the steerer is clean too. Can be a source of noise. (I think that is what it is called. The round goodie at the bottom of the steerer viz in between the bearing and the fork)