E bike vs regular chain lube

MTBRIDER1234

Howzit all, I was wondering if there is any extra benefit to be derived from using E bike chain lube on a non-E bike? I use squirt chain lube and I saw that the E bike specific lube is about 10 or 20 rand more... So I wondered if it lasts longer or will do a better job of lubricating my chain in poor conditions

If there is anyone with knowledge about the chemicals that go into these 2 variants of squirt, then I would be really interested to know if, and how, they differ from one-another. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Howzit all, I was wondering if there is any extra benefit to be derived from using E bike chain lube on a non-E bike? I use squirt chain lube and I saw that the E bike specific lube is about 10 or 20 rand more... So I wondered if it lasts longer or will do a better job of lubricating my chain in poor conditions

If there is anyone with knowledge about the chemicals that go into these 2 variants of squirt, then I would be really interested to know if, and how, they differ from one-another. 

I bought some of the Squirt e-bike chain lube at the CTCT expo.  

I would love to believe it last longer and better .... but without any real scientific proof it is probably just me wanting to justify the purchase .... :P

I have done some 80+km MTB rides with it, including water crossings and a fair bit of sand.  No need to re-lube during the ride.  Smoov certainly does not last that long under these conditions.

25 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I can make you one for black E-bikes only. for 200 rand more😎

19 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I bought some of the Squirt e-bike chain lube at the CTCT expo.  

I would love to believe it last longer and better .... but without any real scientific proof it is probably just me wanting to justify the purchase .... :P

I have done some 80+km MTB rides with it, including water crossings and a fair bit of sand.  No need to re-lube during the ride.  Smoov certainly does not last that long under these conditions.

Haha I am also looking to justify the extra 20 rand

I do find it miles better (get it?) than Smoove and it's also pretty clean. But unless I find some concrete evidence here, then I may just go back to the regular one

45 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

What makes it ebike specific

I have seen certain saddles and even shoes, and wondered the same

21 minutes ago, splat said:

E Bike Branding, nothing more nothing less.

7 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

E Bike Branding, nothing more nothing less.

I think there must be a difference in the formula slightly, otherwise they would just market their regular chain lube to both E bikes and non E bikes and just raise the price of that...

30 minutes ago, splat said:

I don't think anything for saddles and shoes. But for components yes. E bike cranks are different, some chainrings are different and you get E bike specific forks, wheels etc.

17 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I think there must be a difference in the formula slightly, otherwise they would just market their regular chain lube to both E bikes and non E bikes and just raise the price of that...

The cynic in me thinks that it is the same "formulation" just sold at a higher price with the e-bike branding to make more profits 😜

Don't mind me though I'm old and generally miserable

20 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I don't think anything for saddles and shoes. But for components yes. E bike cranks are different, some chainrings are different and you get E bike specific forks, wheels etc.

I get shifters (single click), shorter cranks and forks etc.

But:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technologies/apparel-accessories/footwear/e-bike-rated.html

https://www.cyclevolta.com/story/ebike-components/saddles-designed-for-electric-mountain-bikes/

2 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

The cynic in me thinks that it is the same "formulation" just sold at a higher price with the e-bike branding to make more profits 😜

Don't mind me though I'm old and generally miserable

At the Expo the price was similar between their normal and ebike lubes ....

No idea of LBS prices ...

If they have it on special at the next Expo I will stock up 👍

2 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

More Extreme Pressure additive and a more viscous base oil . The wax is the same as regular squirt 

I would use the ebike squirt in winter or wet conditions

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

More Extreme Pressure additive and a more viscous base oil . The wax is the same as regular squirt 

I would use the ebike squirt in winter or wet conditions

Thanks Diesel, that's good to know.

I think I will get one of the workshop size bottles of the regular one for most of the year and have a normal size bottle of the E bike lube for winter and wet conditions.