Overpricing…

OVERDRIVE

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt that top of the line big brand products are amazing, but its debatable if its worth so much more than a smaller brand's best product. The same conversation could be had about almost any other product ranging from cars to TVs to takkies.

Their Sales and Marketing department makes you believe that their R&D department is better than anyone else's.

56 minutes ago, splat said:

There is no doubt that top of the line big brand products are amazing, but its debatable if its worth so much more than a smaller brand's best product.....

Their Sales and Marketing department makes you believe that their R&D department is better than anyone else's.

Uhm ... 

My jaw DROPPED in a food processing plant ... so much so the factory manager laughed ....

They were canning a product .... the product and cans went through the entire process ... only at the labbeling station did they check the orders .... 

100 boxes for "brand" X, 150 boxes for "brand" Y ....   

Years later I was in a food processing plant processing and packaging of chicken products.  After the cooking station the chicken went on two different lines for packaging .... the big W was packaged in one are, with the other shops/brands packaged in an area next to it .... ZERO difference in the raw product or processing.

Why is Woolies more expensive than other brands? Besides the LSM target market for Woolies higher than say Checkers or PnP, they are the only retailer than has end-to-end temperature control in the supply chain; that costs more to keep maintained and running than a retailer without it in all areas.

12 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Why is Woolies more expensive than other brands? Besides the LSM target market for Woolies higher than say Checkers or PnP, they are the only retailer than has end-to-end temperature control in the supply chain; that costs more to keep maintained and running than a retailer without it in all areas.

While that might be true - woolies fish goes miff as it leaves their doors.

it’s a far cry from fresh

1 hour ago, OVERDRIVE said:

What is the balance between brand strength, brand equity, pricing, and then making people’s wallets bleed? I ask because I saw this: 

3FE0F9B6-CC07-42D1-A27F-ED077F23F60F.jpeg

Milk off the farm is R5,20/litre. Which includes all the cream(which is skimmed off and sold at R120/Litre) So you paying a premium for a brand name, some packaging and some convenience in both of those pictures.

22 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Woolies fruit and veg seem to last forever compared to the others. I've also never walked into a dirty or old Woolies. While some products are obviously just rebranded, other differ vastly. Try PnP milk compared to the premuim or even discount woolies milk

Edited by Newbie321

29 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Uhm ... 

My jaw DROPPED in a food processing plant ... so much so the factory manager laughed ....

They were canning a product .... the product and cans went through the entire process ... only at the labbeling station did they check the orders .... 

100 boxes for "brand" X, 150 boxes for "brand" Y ....   

Years later I was in a food processing plant processing and packaging of chicken products.  After the cooking station the chicken went on two different lines for packaging .... the big W was packaged in one are, with the other shops/brands packaged in an area next to it .... ZERO difference in the raw product or processing.

Wtf GIFs | Tenor

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It still has to get out the truck or is the delovery bay also temparature controlled...

COVID-19 highlights vital role of supply chain management - Fleetwatch

5 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Milk off the farm is R5,20/litre. Which includes all the cream(which is skimmed off and sold at R120/Litre) So you paying a premium for a brand name, some packaging and some convenience in both of those pictures.

What a robbery. 

4 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Woolies fruit and veg seem to last forever compared to the others. I've also never walked into a dirty or old Woolies. While some products are obviously just rebranded, other differ vastly. Try PnP milk compared to the premuim or even discount woolies milk

This also though is true...

13 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

It still has to get out the truck or is the delovery bay also temparature controlled...

COVID-19 highlights vital role of supply chain management - Fleetwatch

For the EXPORT market the loading bays ARE actually part of the temperature controlled environment.  Complete with air locks while the truck parks.

SF-143.jpg.c08d27d126546318b02a9cbfd6d8e5c8.jpg

Then again, for the export market the temperature controlled recorder travels with the container from the farm until the retailer accepts OR rejects the shipment ..... and when the shipment is rejected the complete shipment cost is for the farmers account !!!

Completely different when dealing with this market !!  They keep us on our toes down to the calibration of the scales and the details on the labels ....  Flying out and inspecting the farm and facilities is part and parcel of the deal, BEFORE any contracts are signed.

SF-127.jpg.a9fbb55bf7222fcce8d86702894f6686.jpg

There is simply NO comparison between the local retailer suppliers and those supplying the export market.

They make Woolies look hardly better than the corner shop .... though woolies do try to be a bit better at quality and temperature control than the rest ....

Edited by ChrisF

26 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

For the EXPORT market the loading bays ARE actually part of the temperature controlled environment.  Complete with air locks while the truck parks.

SF-143.jpg.c08d27d126546318b02a9cbfd6d8e5c8.jpg

Then again, for the export market the temperature controlled recorder travels with the container from the farm until the retailer accepts OR rejects the shipment ..... and when the shipment is rejected the complete shipment cost is for the farmers account !!!

Completely different when dealing with this market !!  They keep us on our toes down to the calibration of the scales and the details on the labels ....  Flying out and inspecting the farm and facilities is part and parcel of the deal, BEFORE any contracts are signed.

SF-127.jpg.a9fbb55bf7222fcce8d86702894f6686.jpg

There is simply NO comparison between the local retailer suppliers and those supplying the export market.

They make Woolies look hardly better than the corner shop .... though woolies do try to be a bit better at quality and temperature control than the rest ....

after the possible rejection of the load am still dizzy…what do you do with it? That must be a hard hard hit. 

…35 years ago, yes, years…Woolworths had more stringent factory standards to be passed than other retailers…

for example, our Cape (Firgrove) packing plant, as well as the Krugersdorp packing plant, had those hanging curtains that exclude flying bugs, etc, at DOUBLE the frequency of what was required, even way beck then, made quite an impression on me.

cheers

9 minutes ago, babse said:

Is woolies really more expensive than other retailers though 

I have noticed recently they are not far off the other major stores...

Lets get back to Biking overpricing and how we are feeding this ever growing beast that clearly has us hostage with crazy pricing