[Event] Macsteel National Classic cycle race

Frosty

6 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

LOL, you have no idea how many people have sent me messages asking if I have left the country. I try ride in as many different countries as I can but the app I use has quite a lot down under and they also had a challenge last month during world champs that included "local" rides so did a few of those as well.

I did one in Las Vegas a few months back and a buddy sent me a message asking if I had moved and he was going there on holiday soon and we should do a ride together. 

I was also going to send you a message at some point. The rides dont show as virtual so it really had me guessing.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, thanks for a great event but unfortunately there is always that one person who must spoil the party. In this case it was an E-bike rider in the A bunch. This person rode on his Mountain E-bike and won the A-batch race. Kudo's to him...

I know the A batch is an open race and if you want to do proper racing them one must enter the license racing categories but for us weekend warriors there is still some honor of racing in the A-batch.  Long story short we tried splitting up the bunch in the cross winds just for him to tow the whole bunch back to the front group. Then on the next section he goes to the front and puts the whole peloton in the gutter. Some riders even had words with him and eventually he just rode away. 

My question is why do the organizers allow the E-bikes between the normal riders? Don't they have a bunch of their own? And why do you want to compete in race with a motor if your fitness is clearly good enough that you can ride a normal bike?! So, is it fair to ask, if I can I also go ride in the elites' cat with an E-bike just to see how it feels racing with the pros and maybe getting in the break myself??? I just feel the E-bike riders think they should be treated like normal cyclist which they are clearly not.

Rant over.

28 minutes ago, DanMan said:

Firstly, thanks for a great event but unfortunately there is always that one person who must spoil the party. In this case it was an E-bike rider in the A bunch. This person rode on his Mountain E-bike and won the A-batch race. Kudo's to him...

I know the A batch is an open race and if you want to do proper racing them one must enter the license racing categories but for us weekend warriors there is still some honor of racing in the A-batch.  Long story short we tried splitting up the bunch in the cross winds just for him to tow the whole bunch back to the front group. Then on the next section he goes to the front and puts the whole peloton in the gutter. Some riders even had words with him and eventually he just rode away. 

My question is why do the organizers allow the E-bikes between the normal riders? Don't they have a bunch of their own? And why do you want to compete in race with a motor if your fitness is clearly good enough that you can ride a normal bike?! So, is it fair to ask, if I can I also go ride in the elites' cat with an E-bike just to see how it feels racing with the pros and maybe getting in the break myself??? I just feel the E-bike riders think they should be treated like normal cyclist which they are clearly not.

Rant over.

Fair comment and questions. You have to keep the e-bikes out of normal bike racing. I like e-bikes and what they have done for the sport, but keep them to themselves.

How to respond to the eBike question without offending anyone?

Do they belong in a race?
It depends; it depends on how they ride, relative to others around them. It depends if they influence the outcome of a semi-serious bunch. A husband and wife, or father and son might want to ride together, and this is a good way for them to do so, while still enjoying it. Should they be prevented from “taking part”?

Should the person take the responsible option, and not interfere with a group, as described in the posts above? Yes, I believe they should.

Seems the person got the message in the end, and rode away from the bunch.

Do we want them at the event? Yes, we do. We spend a certain amount to host the event, that is equal to, or better than the expected standard set by CSA. To recover these costs, we need bums in saddles. Sadly enthusiasm from our side doesn’t pay a provider for their services.

Due to the lower than expected numbers (222 open riders), as well as the limited data to be able to seed the open groups, we made a call to have an honesty seeding for the event. Less than 40 people completed the ride time in the entry process, so we would’ve had more queries for placing people in the wrong start group, than queries about a mass start. We knew the wind would do a better job, and it appears to have done so. 

For the record, there were 4 official entries for eBikes, who were to get their own start group, yet I noticed more than 4 at the start.

Our club has two members on e-bikes and they know that the slightest effort results in them surging off the front. They quickly know that, when others voice their concerns, and they ease off the power. It’s not intentional, but rather just how easy it is for an eBike to up the speed.

50 minutes ago, Frosty said:

How to respond to the eBike question without offending anyone?

Do they belong in a race?
It depends; it depends on how they ride, relative to others around them. It depends if they influence the outcome of a semi-serious bunch. A husband and wife, or father and son might want to ride together, and this is a good way for them to do so, while still enjoying it. Should they be prevented from “taking part”?

Should the person take the responsible option, and not interfere with a group, as described in the posts above? Yes, I believe they should.

Seems the person got the message in the end, and rode away from the bunch.

Do we want them at the event? Yes, we do. We spend a certain amount to host the event, that is equal to, or better than the expected standard set by CSA. To recover these costs, we need bums in saddles. Sadly enthusiasm from our side doesn’t pay a provider for their services.

Due to the lower than expected numbers (222 open riders), as well as the limited data to be able to seed the open groups, we made a call to have an honesty seeding for the event. Less than 40 people completed the ride time in the entry process, so we would’ve had more queries for placing people in the wrong start group, than queries about a mass start. We knew the wind would do a better job, and it appears to have done so. 

For the record, there were 4 official entries for eBikes, who were to get their own start group, yet I noticed more than 4 at the start.

Our club has two members on e-bikes and they know that the slightest effort results in them surging off the front. They quickly know that, when others voice their concerns, and they ease off the power. It’s not intentional, but rather just how easy it is for an eBike to up the speed.

Hi Frosty

Believe me when I say I am a fan of E-bikes. With an E-bike my dad can do rides with me that was never previously possible.  

The problem I have with this particular person is that they are actually racing. They are hiding in the bunch at times and when we speed up they are keeping up by using their motor/battery. I do not believe a E-mountain bike is just cruising along at 38km/h for a 102km race. 

I do understand that you want to welcome all cyclist to your event and I fully support that! But a line must be drawn somewhere on when someone is using an E-bike as a means to complete the race or are they wanting to race. In my humble opinion if someone with an E-bike wants to ride in the A-bunch they must ride on a normal bike as you clearly have the fitness of finishing the event on your own power. 

I understand that an honesty seeding was used but unfortunately that only works for the people who wants to be honest. For safety I would always prefer to have some sort of seeding system in place so the stronger more experience riders can race in the front and less chances of big bunch crashes early on. Meaning that E-bikes would start in the back groups and not affect racing. 

Just my 2 cents. And again, Frosty, thank you and your club for hosting this event every year. I will always come back!

In my opinion, the e-bike should not have interfered with pacing in the front. the e-bike should have sit in the bunch and enjoy the ride. Also the e-bike should not have claimed the 1st position in the A group (IMHO).

What makes it extremely difficult is when the e-bike start pacing up a hill. 

On the mass start of the A-bunch, by the turn at SBR, the front group was down to probably 30 riders. This bunch got further split at Walkerville hill. 

I'm shocked to the core .... we're continuously told that 'help my trap' riders are all cool and stuff and don't interfere 🤪

Like said many times you get tchops in all spheres of life ... maybe a word with the offender might help, I mean he won the East Rand champs so he is known