When an $800 AXS seat post just isn't worth it....

esCape-ist

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many “normal” people would be willing to hack there 2 day old AXS dropper post?

I am a firm believer that electronics are an unescesarry complication on MTBs, but this is taking it a step up.... Cool video, but I would rather just have swopped it for a cable operated dropper....

10 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

How many “normal” people would be willing to hack there 2 day old AXS dropper post?

I am a firm believer that electronics are an unescesarry complication on MTBs, but this is taking it a step up.... Cool video, but I would rather just have swopped it for a cable operated dropper....

I run cable operated stuff on my MTB, but that is down to that fact that I prefer the feel and simplicity of them. 

Wireless cockpits look amazing and have advantages like the fact that if you crash, there are less cables to get pulled out, you never have to replace shifter or dropper cables and you don't have to fiddle with internal cable routing. That said, they don't offer great value and the gains are marginal.

I do know a few guys who also like wireless because they can do barspins and tailwhips on their enduro bikes, so I guess in some situations they are needed.

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

7 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I run cable operated stuff on my MTB, but that is down to that fact that I prefer the feel and simplicity of them. 

Wireless cockpits look amazing and have advantages like the fact that if you crash, there are less cables to get pulled out, you never have to replace shifter or dropper cables and you don't have to fiddle with internal cable routing. That said, they don't offer great value and the gains are marginal.

I do know a few guys who also like wireless because they can do barspins and tailwhips on their enduro bikes, so I guess in some situations they are needed.

Yeah no fine. I do understand that in some instances, electric shifting etc has a place, but the advantages just aren't worth the asking price - and in a scenario like this, I think a cable dropper post is a better option than hacking an overpriced axs model and losing the warranty. Kudos to Seth for making sure he did a proper job of it. His handy work is always top class.

How are these mates of yours stopping these enduro bikes of theirs, coz wireless brakes to the best of my knowledge haven't been launched yet (although MTB ABS is now a thing). You can tailwhip a bike with cables too...

14 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Yeah no fine. I do understand that in some instances, electric shifting etc has a place, but the advantages just aren't worth the asking price - and in a scenario like this, I think a cable dropper post is a better option than hacking an overpriced axs model and losing the warranty. Kudos to Seth for making sure he did a proper job of it. His handy work is always top class.

How are these mates of yours stopping these enduro bikes of theirs, coz wireless brakes to the best of my knowledge haven't been launched yet (although MTB ABS is now a thing). You can tailwhip a bike with cables too...

They run front brake through the steerer tube and lengthen the rear brake. If you want to tailwhip a bike with cables, you have to make them really, really long and it looks really bad and you have more cables to get caught and damaged. Also not sure where you got the notion that they don't run brakes?? 

Also if you can afford axs, then I say why not? That little whirring noise of the motor is the most subtle flex that you are rich haha

MTB ABS is only for E bikes, and I also wonder why you are riding trails if you can't control your braking to the point where you need ABS on a bicycle?

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

well if you own an aerobike where the cables are routed through the headtube the only way to properly service the headset bearings is to remove them which means you need a new cable kit everytime you service the headset....

that is not necessary if you have enough money for Force or Red AXS.

And when your bearings are stainless steel 426 RS 52x7x36 bearings at R1800 a set then you want to service these F***ers regularly!

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

well if you own an aerobike where the cables are routed through the headtube the only way to properly service the headset bearings is to remove them which means you need a new cable kit everytime you service the headset....

that is not necessary if you have enough money for Force or Red AXS.

And when your bearings are stainless steel 426 RS 52x7x36 bearings at R1800 a set then you want to service these F***ers regularly!

Hundred percent. I think AXS or DI2 is the way forward for road bikes. Makes perfect sense there. XC bikes also. But that doesn't mean it's the answer everywhere. Like in this video. We talking about a seriously expensive AXS dropper fitted to a 14kg (Size Small) 170mm travel trail bike....and it's not working right. In that instant fitting a cable dropper would solve the problem.... Instead of hacking the brand new AXS to make it work...

2 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Hundred percent. I think AXS or DI2 is the way forward for road bikes. Makes perfect sense there. XC bikes also. But that doesn't mean it's the answer everywhere. Like in this video. We talking about a seriously expensive AXS dropper fitted to a 14kg (Size Small) 170mm travel trail bike....and it's not working right. In that instant fitting a cable dropper would solve the problem.... Instead of hacking the brand new AXS to make it work...

Yip. On a gravity focused bike AXS makes little sense. I crash enough for it to be a worry to break derailleurs and shifters, and if I ran a groupset and dropper that cost north of 20k then I would always have that in the back of my mind.

For road and xc, like escape-ist said, it does make more sense but still offers negligible benefits IMO and IME.

1 hour ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

They run front brake through the steerer tube and lengthen the rear brake. If you want to tailwhip a bike with cables, you have to make them really, really long and it looks really bad and you have more cables to get caught and damaged. Also not sure where you got the notion that they don't run brakes?? 

Also if you can afford axs, then I say why not? That little whirring noise of the motor is the most subtle flex that you are rich haha

MTB ABS is only for E bikes, and I also wonder why you are riding trails if you can't control your braking to the point where you need ABS on a bicycle?

I was being facetious. I know how jump bikes and freeride bikes are set up. But the okes running front brake only enduro bikes to do barspins with them are obviously also a small community of riders. That is normally only done of dirtjump frames

8 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

I was being facetious. I know how jump bikes and freeride bikes are set up. But the okes running front brake only enduro bikes to do barspins with them are obviously also a small community of riders. That is normally only done of dirtjump frames

They are a niche for sure, not many people have the money to do it or the skills to be able to.

You're right, it is set up exactly like a jump bike, just with gears and a dropper (sometimes). But most proper dirtjump okes remove the front brake because it isn't really needed and adds extra complication.

14 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

The guy clearly did it for the views. Now that he doesn't have sponsors monetising the channel he needs as many eyeballs as he can find. 

Yeah it’s just content, reasonable investment for a quite interesting video… I mean I watched till the end. 

54 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Yeah it’s just content, reasonable investment for a quite interesting video… I mean I watched till the end. 

Agreed, it's a great video, and Seth has always done really cool and quality DIY work, since way back when the channel was still called Seths Bike Hacks. I still doubt any normal person would be willing to forego the warranty on a brand new AXS dropper to try this, instead of just fitting a cable dropper to solve the problem. Especially on a relatively heavy enduro type bike

Must say I was rather impressed with the build on that separate battery pack set up.

I am sure with some 3d printing and more work he could have made it work.

As for the ASX nay sayers, don't judge it till you have ridden it long term. I was skeptical about it, but a few months of riding with GX AXS and I don't think I will go back to a cable shifter.

49 minutes ago, dave303e said:

As for the ASX nay sayers, don't judge it till you have ridden it long term. I was skeptical about it, but a few months of riding with GX AXS and I don't think I will go back to a cable shifter.

Agreed. Also the folk moaning about the price... Dont blame SRAM. I got the AXS Upgrade kit from Germany, sent it to the Dubai residence.. Cost the same or a little more than the mech version in SA (Was under R7k converted, with EUR60 shipping and 5% VAT and 5% Duty in the UAE. Its not 'expensive'. Again its Cape Cycle Systems and Coolheat taking the piss in SA. NOT SRAM and Shimano.

On Topic an AXS dropper. Not for me at ANY price.