Who is the GOAT mountainbiker (Male)

esCape-ist

Who is the ultimate MTB GOAT  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the (in your opinion) the greatest male MTBer of all time?

• Hans Rey
    • Greg Minnaar
    • Nino Schurter
    • Steve Peat
    • Gary Fisher
    • John Tomac
    • Julien Absolon
    • Sam Hill
    • Gee Atherton
    • Danny Macaskill

Here is a list of the in my opinion, the ten greatest MTBers in the short history of the sport. Lets hear your opinions.

To keep it civil, let's set some ground rules:

1. No one is right or wrong, this is purely based on opinion.

2. The ten names on the initial list, are my personal selection, and are listed in no particular order

3. If you feel someone has been left out, please nominate them, with a brief description as to why they should be added to the list

NB: Do not vote if you wish to rather nominate a new name. You can only vote once, so wait till your nominee is added to the list before voting

4. Once nominated, at least two other members must second the proposal by quoting the post - and saying “Aye”. I will then add the name to the list

5. The list will be expanded to a maximum of 15 names

6. If you disagree with a nomination, or a name already on the list, feel free to voice your opinion, with valid reasons, but keep it civil, this is just a bit of fun after all. 

EDIT: I Just realised poll options cannot be edited, so the original list of ten will need to stay as it is…. Sorry guys. No adding of names….

Edited by esCape-ist

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hans Rey: The grandaddy of the extreme mountain biking and pushing the limits of what can be done on a bike. These days, the Hans Rey Adventure Team epitomises everything Mountainbiking is about for me. Plus, he is simply an absolute gentleman with no airs about him.

Greg Minnar: The ultimate DH racer. He has been at the pinnacle of the elite field for as long as it has existed, and his professional career spans longer than many of his current challengers are old. Plus, the Fresh Prince of Big Air is our home grown superstar

Nino Schurter: Olympic gold medalist, 9 time world Champion, 7 time world cup overall winner - need one say more. Oh yes, almost single handlely revolutionised XC racing by bringing incredible technical skill and style, and combining it with insane fitness, forcing the uci to make tracks ever-more technical.

Steve Peat: The second most winningest DH Racer of all time (after Minnaar), He played an instrumental role in “profesionlising” DH racing, and continues to contribute to the spot through development programs, as well as developing technical gear and clothing through his involvement with Royal Racing

Gary Fisher: pretty much invented the mountain bike, and has an epic moustache.

John Tomac: Pioneer of the early professional era. Having at the time of his retirement in 2005 won more races than anyone in the sport, but more impressively, had won those races across pretty much every discipline in MTB (and a couple of major road titles too)

Julian Absolon: 7 time WC Overal XC Winner, 5 Time XC World Champ, 5x European Champion and won every national championship in his native France between 2003-2016. Just an incredible athlete.

Sam Hill: The first rider to succesfully transition from DH into the EWS when it was just starting out. Mutliple World Junior DH Championships, followed by 3 senior World champs, and 2 x World Cup Overal winner, and then won the EWS in his forst year racing in 2017. Plus, placed 6th at he Downhill World Champs in 2017, riding a single crown Enduro bike…

(more to come. Need to do some work now first)

Edited by esCape-ist

Kinda like asking who's the greatest guitarist of all time. Answer of course, is Bob Marley... My reasoning being that there are more pictures of Bob around the world playing a Les Paul-style guitar than of anyone else (probably). So you should put Joe Breezer on that list

10 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Kinda like asking who's the greatest guitarist of all time. Answer of course, is Bob Marley... My reasoning being that there are more pictures of Bob around the world playing a Les Paul-style guitar than of anyone else (probably). So you should put Joe Breezer on that list

Will gladly add Joe Breeze, as long as you get two people to second his nomination

5 minutes ago, babse said:
  • Lance...

Well I'm sure he would have been a great XC and marathon racer, had he chose that discipline over Road, I do not feel that Lance is or has ever been considered a mountain biker. So regardless of the controversy surrounding his doping scandal, I will not accept this nomination, as Lance is not a MTB legend.

14 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Guthrie Govan. Easy.

2 minutes ago, BrentCGP said:

Guthrie Govan. Easy.

yes, 100%, but with the vast majority of the planet saying "who dat?", probably no...

but for this thread's sake, Mr Min - longevity, and all-round-nice-guy and everyone's happy when he wins

54 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Are these nominations? If so, please give a brief description as to why they should be added?

You reckon danny macaskill is a better mtb rider than Sauser?