Bike racks for Polo Vivo

Gregc

Will a Thule Raceway fit a Polo Vivo hatchback?

According to the website only a Clip on 9103 or an Outway will fit 

i still have a 9103 lying in my garage from driving a polo 15y ago. If I recall that was one of the only choices then too. and then only if there is no boot spoiler. It works fine, we used it in 2019 on a polo for a friend. 2 bikes max though...even though it claims it's a 3 bike rack. What i dont like about 'hanging' racks though is that only certain frames really work....small mtb frames ones not really either, and im not keen on bikes hanging from their top tubes anymore...especially my heavy ass bikes. Also, you tend to have to tie the bikes down with extra rope or bungie cord toe get it all secure otherwise they flop around. 

platform bike racks are the way to go if you have or can manage to install a towbar for cheap. The euroway's cost the same as that outway but they are far superior when it comes to how they work imo. 

Edited by MORNE

I agree that platform racks are the best especially if you'll be using it often. The hang on racks become a hassle over time but are fine for occasional use. I used a Saris Bones 3 on my Golf - no issues. Am sure it would work on a Polo. I would also look at the suction racks - SeaSucker, Treefrog and RockBros available locally.

The only "issue" is some of the suction racks are only suitable for QR so a thru-axle adaptor is needed. The Treefrog adaptor was R850 which adds to the already pricey rack. But they work well on cars that can't take normal racks and are low enough for you to put your bike on the roof easily. 

3 hours ago, Tomik said:

I agree that platform racks are the best especially if you'll be using it often. The hang on racks become a hassle over time but are fine for occasional use. I used a Saris Bones 3 on my Golf - no issues. Am sure it would work on a Polo. I would also look at the suction racks - SeaSucker, Treefrog and RockBros available locally.

The only "issue" is some of the suction racks are only suitable for QR so a thru-axle adaptor is needed. The Treefrog adaptor was R850 which adds to the already pricey rack. But they work well on cars that can't take normal racks and are low enough for you to put your bike on the roof easily. 

I have a 3 bike euroway platform rack that I use on my bakkie when needed.  I have 2 Polo's (2017 and 2021) but its about R 5k per tow bar and the platform rack is a bit big to store in a student flat. Its just for occasional use as a 29er takes up a whole back seat and more when you need to transport it 

Thanks for the feedback