LANCE'S UPCOMING WEEKEND!

fourbar

BERKELEY, CALIF. (October 24, 2006) -- After seven Tour de France victories, Lance Armstrong has traded in his bike for running shoes to compete in the 2006 ING New York City Marathon. The November 5th event marks a lifelong goal for the legendary cyclist, and will take place just a few weeks following another important life milestone -- the 10th anniversary of his cancer diagnosis.

For Armstrong, the scene will certainly be different ? from the world?s most grueling sporting event to the world?s most famous marathon; from 2,241 cycling miles up strenuous French mountain climbs, to a 26.2 mile footrace throughout the streets of New York; from the yellow jersey wearer amongst a team of world class cyclists, to one runner in a pack of 40,000 marathoners.

Armstrong looked to his longtime cycling coach Chris Carmichael to support the final stages of marathon training and his race day nutrition strategies. According to Carmichael, the physical and mental demands for each event are different, and although experience helps an athlete like Lance adjust, he?s found the overall transition from riding to running to be challenging.

Training Regimen: Armstrong?s hectic travel schedule has resulted in logging training mileage on the treadmill to supplement weekly road and trail runs, and plenty of in-gym core strength exercises. Cross-training workouts including swimming, mountain biking and kayaking have helped ease the hip and joint pain associated with the impact of running.
Marathon Goals: Asked countless times about his anticipated finish time since he first announced he?d compete in New York, Armstrong says a sub 3-hour run, or finishing somewhere around an hour behind the winner ?in the middle of the pack of 40,000 runners? would make him happy.
Race Day Fuel: Armstrong will burn an estimated 10 to 13 calories per minute during the marathon. According to Carmichael, his race day nutritional approach will be similar to what he followed during The Tour ? the right carbohydrate intake at the right time. ?Throughout the estimated three hours he?ll run, Lance will consume 45 to 60 grams of carbohydrates per hour, or the equivalent of two PowerBar Gels, each hour of the race.?
Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

Thought you were talking about Donkey.... was getting worried that he had something planned for Bonnivale :)

For a moment I thought someone had planned something against/ for me....

Pls can the rain just stay the hell away on Saturday...... Thats all Lance wants for this upcoming w end at BonnivaleLOL

2:59:36 Clap  Since I'm not an LA fan, I am however very impressed by this latest achievement! Now, I can trully say that I am in awe of what this man has achieved in his lifetime... Thumbs%20Up

Pantani, do you know were I can find the results.Have a mate that did it on a hand cycle.

A sub 3 hour marathon is nothing to be sneezed at irrespective of who it is!

Clap

Absolutely true!!!

First go and do a sub3- then you're entitled to do the criticism!!!

Well done Lance!!!Clap

For a moment I thought someone had planned something against/ for me....

Pls can the rain just stay the hell away on Saturday...... Thats all Lance wants for this upcoming w end at BonnivaleLOL

Looks like the rain did not hinder you much Donkey.

Congrats on getting on the podium at Bonnievale. ClapClapClap

I never did a Marathon but did quite a few half marathons. I have never been athleticly endowed. My fastes half marathon was 2.19. A sub three Marathon at your first attempt shows that you do have talent.... big talent. Watch out for his triathlon comeback!!!!!!!