New Chainlube - Bargain

Max Headroom

1 hour ago, michaelbiker said:

There was a pretty good podcast on the reasons the methods of testing lubes you mentioned aren’t useful for chains on a bicycle. One thing that stands out for me, is that you can pick either high efficiency or high longevity but not both.

If you’re into this sort of thing I recommend giving it a listen: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/nerd-alert-podcast-separating-chain-lube-testing-fact-from-fiction/

Uhm...., he IS in this business.  Working for one of the large international companies.  On this topic he truly is very well informed.

And he has a good history with bicycles to boot.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you're into 'marginal gains', as an average Joe does what chain lube you use really matter?

I doubt there are many riders that clean and lube their chains in the most effective manner  anyway ... I'm happy to be proven wrong

1 minute ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Unless you're into 'marginal gains', as an average Joe does what chain lube you use really matter?

I doubt there are many riders that clean and lube their chains in the most effective manner  anyway ... I'm happy to be proven wrong

I do not think logic is meant to form a part of this thread ...........

I think all lubes work , obviously some work better than others 

Ive swung between squirt and smoove for long and usually don't take too much attention to which im using ( workshop bottles) 

the bad side is more about how much k@k it attracts , squirt is decent but that stuff in the green bottle from Finishline is the devil's sweat 

1 minute ago, BaGearA said:

I think all lubes work , obviously some work better than others 

Ive swung between squirt and smoove for long and usually don't take too much attention to which im using ( workshop bottles) 

the bad side is more about how much k@k it attracts , squirt is decent but that stuff in the green bottle from Finishline is the devil's sweat 

I loved Smoove.  But this time of the year our trails get very dusty .... the chain needs to be lubed before the end of a long ride .....

Squirt seems to handle this dust just a bit better.

Not scientific, just the feel and noise after 60+km of dusty trails.

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Uhm...., he IS in this business.  Working for one of the large international companies.  On this topic he truly is very well informed.

But he rides a Cannondale with half a fork, so his is 50/50

9 hours ago, polskime13 said:

Get yourself Spaanjard motorcycle chain wax for R149 on takealot. Guess what... it works and you don't pay for make-believe science. 

R149 for 400ml ... seems a bargain

https://www.takealot.com/spanjaard-chain-wax-400ml/PLID42433502

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

hahahaha I was about to say, for the love of all that is wholesome, please stop arguing with a guy who does this for a living, dorks out hard over stats and loves to cross pollinate everything with bikes!

I love nudging Diesel about his hatred of Spez bikes, but arguing with him about Lube is like arguing with Nino on what it takes to win an XCO race. 

29 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahaha I was about to say, for the love of all that is wholesome, please stop arguing with a guy who does this for a living, dorks out hard over stats and loves to cross pollinate everything with bikes!

I love nudging Diesel about his hatred of Spez bikes, but arguing with him about Lube is like arguing with Nino on what it takes to win an XCO race. 

Let it be known, I have looked into his bedroom window many times late at night while he is sleeping, and he has a few pairs of S-Werxs PJ's with framed posters of S-Werxs Epics on the walls .... but you never heard this from me.

15 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

The bonus is you can scoop up what leaks out of your Ford to lube your chain. 

Exactly