Road Tyres

Rich

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vittoria not the lightest but the best rolling and most puncture proof i have ridden in a long time

especially rubino and rubino proturtlek2008-08-06 08:32:23

Vittoria not the lightest but the best rolling and most puncture proof i have ridden in a long time

especially rubino and rubino pro

Found the handling in wet conditions not so good on these 2 though.  Lotsa slipping and sliding of rear tyre, etc etc

Not light at all, but the Conti Gatorskins are the bomb!!!  Actually, quite "the bomb proof".

Lightweight is something that just can't go with puncture proof.

Conti gatorskins are puncture proof but aroung 300g per tyre.

Conti GP 4000's are pretty light and also dont puncture too easily, weigh around 190g per tyre.
GIRR2008-08-06 11:12:36

I agree with ewep.. Not the lightest, but grip well and puncture resistance is amazing!

IMHO by far the best performing value for money tyres are the Maxxis Zenith foldables.

You get excellent performance, good milage and good puncture protection too.

And a lot more affordable than even Gatorskins.

My GP4000s punctured very easily but were the fastest tires iv ever ridden on

Thats why I only ride with those on my racing wheels.  Definitely not for training on.

Haha some of us arnt lucky enough to have 2 sets of wheels. But yes i agree, for racing they are the best clinchers around, but dont train on them

How much do they retail for?

I still have a few left at old price of R199, not sure what they will be going for now with all the price hikes....Confused.

Kenda Kaliente are another nice light weight tyre that seems quite puncture resistant.

My all time favourite racing clincher still has to be the Vittoria Open Corsa CX Pro, but they just HATE glass!! (so not a good idea on our glass ridden roads after Friday/Saturday night festivities)Angry.

Haha some of us arnt lucky enough to have 2 sets of wheels. But yes i agree' date=' for racing they are the best clinchers around, but dont train on them [/quote']

Just do what I did before I could afford a second set of wheels....

(Used to change tyres on Friday/Sat evenings before a race....) Got loads of practise chainging tyres, and was allways a treat to feel the differance going from heavy weight wire bead training tyres to a set of light weight foldable tyres)

Solomans sells the conti atack Special!!

Very nice they go 4 around 900 but solomons always the cheapest on 450!!

WW - I've used the Zenith and the Hors Categorie (sp?) and found them to be decent on puncture resistance, but CRAP (please not the caps on CRAP!)on the mileage you get out.  It will take a lot of convinsing for mr to us the Maxiss road range again.

Bliksempie, Attack/Force are great!  Been there done that, BUT:

1. You buy the set.  So if you cut the front tyre you buy a full set again.  And if you do get a LBS that sells the singles you pay a tubbie price for it.

2. Not nearly as puncture resistant as the Gatorskins.  Cuts from small pieces of glass shows immediatly!

If you have a set of racing wheels, great, go for them.  I know the level you race at, and I think it's worth your while.  But I would rather spend less time fixing punctures than worrying about the 60g in weight saving!

WW - I've used the Zenith and the Hors Categorie (sp?) and found them to be decent on puncture resistance' date=' but CRAP (please not the caps on CRAP!)on the mileage you get out.  It will take a lot of convinsing for mr to us the Maxiss road range again.

Bliksempie, Attack/Force are great!  Been there done that, BUT:

1. You buy the set.  So if you cut the front tyre you buy a full set again.  And if you do get a LBS that sells the singles you pay a tubbie price for it.

2. Not nearly as puncture resistant as the Gatorskins.  Cuts from small pieces of glass shows immediatly!

If you have a set of racing wheels, great, go for them.  I know the level you race at, and I think it's worth your while.  But I would rather spend less time fixing punctures than worrying about the 60g in weight saving!

[/quote']

As someone who pays for those expensive mistakes thank you for the wise wordsBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

3 weeks pel, how about a beer, same time as last year, you game