SA CYCLIST OF THE YEAR

Baanfietsryer

I just re-read the press release of the SA cyclist of the year awards twice.

I could not believe that they missed one of obvious categories.

We have nominations for road, MTB, BMX & even triathlon, but alas no track category. Very sad Cry

Is the press release complete? I can't believe that this category does not exist.

To answer your question Bradley McGee (olympic pursuit gold medallist), Eric Zabel (multiple tour de France green jersey winner), Mario Cippollini (record stage wins in Giro d'Italia), Robbie Hunter (first SA cyclist to complete TdF), Chris Boardman (ex TdF pro & ex world 1h record holder) and the list could go on, but I don't have the time...Big%20smile

0k... I will go on for a bit more. These top sa roadies all raced track Alan van Heerden, Willie Engelbrecht, Gary Beneke, Malcolm Lange.

Hope that answers your question Buddah.

Didnt mean it in a bad way All Rounder! I just asked who races track from SA now, is there anyone abroad? Who would you vote to take the award?

If you look at the past levels of SA cycling when the Hector Norris track in JHB was jam packed for track racing on a Sunday... that brought about a strong road discipline. Sadly the days of the Beneke's, Idol, Fowler, Gary Thompson, Willie Englebrecht, Alan Dipple are gone now and I firmly believe it is because of the demise of the track discipline. Look at how many Aussies there are in the TDF each year and look to the discipline they came from.......!  

No doubt that from a training / performance aspect that track has a significant part to play in RR success.

Come on then Bikemax.....

Organise a good winter training program, incorporating plenty of track training / racing.

With a great facility at the Bellville velodrome, we should use it more in winter months?

WW.... Sunday Crit on the Track in winter?????/ No Trafic Levy.Keen?

Not only am I keen!ClapBig%20smile

I'm willing to put money on it that PLENTY of my club members will come along to support!Thumbs%20Up

Wish Killarney was just a LITTLE bit closer, then we would pop in there more often too....

Yes, PLEASE organise above plan for winter, I'm pretty sure it will be well supported.

Just one question, do I need to start selling track bikes then too in the new MANIC CYCLES bicycle shop in Worcester..... Wink

The problem is that most of the elite teams do not want there riders to do track and risk falling. Yes there is no track category on the Cyclist of the year awards. CSA got NOTHING to do with the awards evening. The nominees are nominated by the journalist on request by Cyclingnews.co.za and the person with most votes wins. Plain and simple. If you want to complain then take it up with the organizer Tony Harding and Wynand de Villiers. For the past 4 or 5 years the organizers stuck to the same format.