HRM KCal readings

Gumpole

I am getting strange readings from my polar 725 regarding KCal used during exercise... well not strange but very low. yesterday I did 20 minutes on a turbotrainer, very hard. my HR ave was 170, max 183. KCal is 276 which = 828/hour, my highest reached on new HRM. previously I would get close to 1000/hr (on the old HRM). My age, weight, max HR are the same as previously so why the deviation??

Another example, stolen from Marius' entry to the cadence challenge: 1020kCal/hr; last time I went to kyalami, 43km (similar distance) 450m ascent (more hills) ave Hr 166 (a little higher) max Hr 181 (the same), speed 33.1 (the same).. weight 72kg (similar i think) ... and KCal/Hr is 767. How can the HRM give such different figures for two similar exercises.. please help, I are confused.

2006-04-12_090625_cadance.gif

Guest Michelle

Gumpole:  That doesn't sound right at all.  Maybe go into your person properties & make sure all your measurement units are correct?!? I took a look at mine & when my hr is at 120 my rate is 1249kJ/60 min!!

I think your height and weight, fitness level and MAX HR /RH, age all play a part, make sure you got then filled in correctly Gumi!smileys/smiley4.gif

As Marius indicated, check your personal settings. If you are using the fitness test regulary this automatically changes your VO2Max, which will also change your KCal rate. I think temp etc also place a part but I am not sure.

Dick might have a point there with the VO2 Max.  I weigh a bit more, but if my heart rate goes up to 170 to 180, my burn rate is about 1400Kcal/hr.

mIGHT BE THE vo2. All the other data is correct. I think the vo2 is left on whatever default the watch come with. Haven't done a fitness test so that might be the problem. Thanks for the advice

Michelle, thats amazing, what does it read if you are doing 160 or 170!!

Guest Michelle

Gumpole:

160bpm - 2051kJ / 60 min

180bpm - 2557kJ / 60 min

Mine is in kJ not kCal!!!  I wish I could burn calories like Bateleur... shoowee!!