Food for Double Century

AuctionLamb

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread looks to me more like who can drink the most bottles of liquid and take the most food around.....sounds to me the unfittest or the "most afraid I am not going to make 200km" is taking the most food onboard!LOL

6 bottles of Game, 4 Black Cat bars, 1 * 6 pack of Windhoek.

Might pack in some muffins in case I get bored.

well i did 226 km on 2 500ml bottel and a little bottle of coke and a banana and that was not fun 

6 bottles (I hope the support vehicle can refill the empty ones if I need more, its going to be hot)

2 Gels

5 PVM

1 bag nuts

1 bag wine gums

Last weekend when I cycled the 94.7 twice I ended up with a total of 209km for the days riding, so it?s similar to the DC distance.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I had Pro Nutro for breakfast (with COLD milk), and a cup of strong coffee. Had some jelly babies and a USN Protein bar on route to the race, as well as some energade to sip.

For the race I took with me:

?        5 x GU?s (ended up only using 3 as I decided to not take it too seriously after my punctures)

?        2 full water bottles (one with water / one with Energade). Refilled the energade bottle once. Water lasted me to the end.

?        1 x USN Protein Bar

?        1 x packet of Jelly Tots

?        1 x Boost Bar that I got from a mate on the second lap. That really saved me!!

And that got me to the end with no problems. 7 and a half hours in the saddle and I felt fine afterwards.

Hope that helps! And good luck to everyone that?s racing. Hopefully see you there next year!

You okes seem to have hectic digestive systems! If I were to even attempt to eat/drink all of that sweet and hightly concentrated stuff my stomach would pack up big time...

Unfortunately I will be missing the DC once again but I would have had 70% water 30%juice (whatever your poison may be). 4 Gu's mabe two Jungle bars and the rest small Jam sandwiches wrapped up in tinfoil like sweets (easy to unwrap on the go).

Anyone making sandwiches do yourself the favour and make sure that they are not dry cause that will make eating it a mission.

Coke and water (two bottles for me, not mixed) does wonders at the last feeding station, but not before.

Otherwise have a ball! Wish I could join you buggers... Cry

Ok, maths lesson time. Speaking in units of bottles and sandwiches is way too imprecise. Your MAXIMAL carb requirement (per mouth, not what your body is using in total) is in the region of 60 grams per hour, MAAAYbe 75 if youre (a lean) 85 kg plus, so 750 ml of energy drink and a gu would be way too much for most people, but the extra carbs wont kill you. Then theres the fluid story: Work out your sweat rate and drink as close as is comfortable to that rate, rather than some fixed number. Sweat rates vary hugely: I have measured sweat rates in riders exercising in hot humid conditions aat the same relative exercise intensity that varied from 5000 ml/h to over 3.5 litres per hour. Try drink 750 ml per hour from the start of the dc and you'll soon be vomiting that up..

So, do some reading of labels and work out how you can get about 50 grams of carbs every hour from the start of exercise and you should be fine.

I had , 4 bottles of Cytomax, 4 GU's and one Powerbar. More than enough.....wonder how the guys did who took the whole Pick 'n Pay with them.

Well i took a bit with me, used 5 bottles complete (ALL EVOX) and ate 2 marchmallow easter eggs and a muffin. I drank 1 small botlle of water and i had a litre of yogurt for breakfast and that was that.

I wasn't even hungry when i finished. Apart from the cramp i got on the pass i was feeliing quite okay for most of the day.

Defintaley was fun!!!!

Generally the advice is to have 0.7g - 1g of carbohydrates / kg body mass / hour.

So, for me 80g of carbohydrates / hour was being very safe.  This was made up of:

1 x 750 ml Octane = 44g carbs

1 x Gu = 16g carbs (if I remember correctly)

1/2 Enervit Power Bar = 20g or there abouts

In the end I had a total of 5 bottles Octance, 5 Gu's and 1 Power Bar and did not need the rest.

After the first two hours I just couldn't eat anymore!!