Measuring the resistance of a wheel

Token

Does anyone know if it is possible to measure the resistance

that 1 wheel set produces compare to another?

good question, maybe get the bike in a stand get the cadence/speed to a certain point and then time how long it takes to come to a standstill.

swop wheels and do the same.

winner is longest time to spin.

This test will workout resistance in the hubs and the aero properties of the spokes, but not the rims which are designed to be aero at high speeds, not stationery!

You can always get an estimate with a coast down test - start at the same spot and try and hold the same position on the bike and see how far you roll before stopping. Good idea to do this down a hill like Suikerbossie for example with the roll on area.

There is an article floating around that investigates the effect of rolling resistance of different mountain bike tyres at various pressures, but as far as rims are concerned, can't help you out.

i started a little investigation with rolling resistance on my old and new mtb. Basically just coasting down hill and comparing times between the two bikes. Not finished yet but so far i can say that STANS in tubeless tyres do slow you down.

Also check how easy your crank is turning without the chain. The sticky grease in Shimano's sealed bearings on the new bike  AngryAngry 

Turning a crank without a chain tells you nothing.

Spinning a wheel and timing it's run down tells you nothing.

In both cases the bearings are designed to be loaded in a certain way in use, and these tests are not really "in use" tests.

STANS in tyres would more likely prevent you from speeding up rather than increasing rolling resistance.

Well, if I remember my mathlematricks...

If perde-drolle=vye

Then perde = vye + drolle

but what that does for rolling resistance I couldn't say.

i started a little investigation with rolling resistance on my old and new mtb. Basically just coasting down hill and comparing times between the two bikes. Not finished yet but so far i can say that STANS in tubeless tyres do slow you down.

Also check how easy your crank is turning without the chain. The sticky grease in Shimano's sealed bearings on the new bike  AngryAngry 

landie,

Shamus has on his website the article I mentioned above regarding rolling resistance. Have a look @

http://www.bicicletta.co.za/Schwalbe.htm

The article is titled "What factors effect Rolling Resistance"

thanks Thug, i remember reading it before..

what triggered my investigation was my K2C ride. I did it 20min longer with the new Raleigh than with my old Produx (which is falling apart).

By simply lifting a wheel and spinning it, the Produx wheel will turn forever. On the raleigh it stopped quite fast. After removing the STANs it turned much longer (Raleigh). I thinks there are different factors playing a role but on the Raleigh it felt that i was on a heavier gear than i should have been, all the time. On the old bike i cycle with less effort. If i have the time i will experiment more