Harkerville Red Route

Bakkie

What an AWESOME ride!!!<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We arrived in Plett on Saturday afternoon and booked into the Harkerville Forest Lodge.

We went for a quick cycle up the road and discovered that we can jump onto the red route for some awesome single track to the Garden of Eden and then back on the tar for 3km to our accommodation. (40min)

On Sunday morning we cycled from the Lodge to the start of the red route at Garden of Eden (3km from accommodation) We stopped at the Sasol and bought some sweets for the road, then followed the N2 to the Garden of Eden where we bought the permits (R25pp).

The route is awesome.... I'll say it again.... it is a awesome cycle.

The route is very very well maintained and well marked we had no problems.

I would recommend this ride to anybody!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an AWESOME ride!!!<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We arrived in Plett on Saturday afternoon and booked into the Harkerville Forest Lodge.

We went for a quick cycle up the road and discovered that we can jump onto the red route for some awesome single track to the Garden of Eden and then back on the tar for 3km to our accommodation. (40min)

On Sunday morning we cycled from the Lodge to the start of the red route at Garden of Eden (3km from accommodation) We stopped at the Sasol and bought some sweets for the road, then followed the N2 to the Garden of Eden where we bought the permits (R25pp).

The route is awesome.... I'll say it again.... it is a awesome cycle.

The route is very very well maintained and well marked we had no problems.

I would recommend this ride to anybody!!!

[/quote']

Another believer! I have ridden Slickrock, I have ridden Porcupine Rim Trail, but I am yet to find a more awesome trail than The Red Route!!!

I am riding that area this weekend. Any tips?

mmm tips?

Take a camera!!!

get a map from the little hut where you buy the permit and take it with you.

Enjoy the view from the picnic table.... some climbing ahead!

It took us 2h45min which included a stop at the picknic table and a chat with Leon Evans who we cycled into on some awesome single track.

I'm gonna be in plett for december' date=' what other trails are there in plett and knysna...? Any nice long, technical stuff...?[/quote']

I only know about Petrus se Brand but ask Brandon Els (see above) he knows the area very well.

Also my favourite trail in SA. Very beautiful.

The day I rode it I remember starting to smell the sea through the forest as you descended and when you see the view over the sea it is amazing.

Will definitely ride it again next time I am in the area.

I am riding that area this weekend. Any tips?

Take more water than  you normally would and spend the day

Do take a camera

Do take lights and go on a night ride. It'll blow your mind.

Do chill and take in the beauty of our sport and nature

Don't take fresh fruit. There are lots of baboons and through evolution and hikers feading them they have become cleverer than what we'd like.

The red route is beautiful, but don't dismiss the others. For long rides do the red route then the yellow. The green and red share the same singel track so no use in combining them. IMO the red route is red cause a fair amount of climbing and distance, but it's not THAT technical. Sgl track is tricky when muddy, but not overly so.

Yellow route is just as beautiful with fast flowing sections.

Also take some time and go do Piet se Brand. It runs from Diepwalle to the Garden of Eden kiosk. 24km. Or be brave and start at the kiosk cycle to diepwalle and back. You guessed it, 48km. But it's worth it. Take some money and have a bite in Diepwalle before heading back. Harker's red route is better known cause it's so scenic, but Piet se Brand is also a beautiful trail worth riding.

Adventure centre in Wildernis has some nice routes as well.

For shopping in Knysna rather go to Action Cycles near Renault / Waterfront / Supa Quick / Yamaha Boats.

I've had great service at Knysna Cycle Works and The Bike Shop in Plett. No need to stick with Action Cycles only.

Can't agree more on the Harkerville routes. It is worth doing red and yellow together, for a longer ride. Be careful after rain - the routes get very slippy. I've also ridden in water about 50cm deep, on the trails, after heavy rains.

Thanks guys. Time is limited.Cry Looks like I am going to be antisocial.

Any idea where the best place would be to hire bikes. I am trying to convince some golfers to take up a decent sport.