Ultimate climbing bike

_Daemon_

The "fatty goes climbing" thread got me thinking. What would be the ultimate climbing bike, forget the decent on the other side, forget everything, just 100% climbing what frame/setup would be the ultimate?

Somehting like a Cervelo R3 with say Zipp 202 tubies?

Trek ssLx ( for the stiffness) with Bontrager XXX lite OCLV 55 carbon wheels 970g a pair Confused . Boron XXX lite bars 160g , But I think the bikes rigidity plays a bigger factor than trying to get the weight to low........Unless you one of those Columbian climbers that weigh 50kg's.Embarrassed

Francois du Toit put a Pinarello Paris together for the DC. Complete bike weight was 6.4kg. Now that sounds attractive.

Well if weight determines a good climbing bike the Scott addict wins.

5.9kgs incl pedals and bottle cage.

Now imagine yourself on a 3.4kg bike going down that mountain you just came up at 100km/h....ehh no thanksStern%20Smile

Didn't Iban Mayo have a special bike built for the Mont Ventoux time trial in the 2004 Dauphin? Lib?r??

Short wheel base and stupid light frame etc. Obvisouly it still had to be 6.8kg.

Lance stripped his special edition Trek down as well to include down tube shifters!

That was a while ago. Things have moved on a bit...

if it is REALLY steep and short (say 3kms at 10%)

then you just get your regular lighweight bike and ditch saddle, seatpost, waterbottle cages, bottles, saddlebag, front derailleur (sp), big blade, brake calipers etc etc.

I'm sure I could get my bike to just over 6kg Big%20smile.

you cant go less than 6.8kg so get the stiffest bike you can (R3-SL!!!!) & make sure that you save the weight in the rotational parts - wheels,  crankset, pedals, chain without sacrificing any stiffness - particularly in the wheels.

pictures of someone on the bike :

http://www.geocities.com/rcgilmore3/ProneBike.jpg

http://www.futurebike.ch/images/2_comp_tw.jpg