In the market for a tandem...

chris414

Hi there. I am a fairly competitive cyclist but am wondering about tandem cycling with my girlfriend (a complete beginner to cycling / endurance sport in general) - if we are at two very different fitness levels, would we still be able to both get a good workout on a ride on a tandem? Or do the two people have to be of similar fitness levels?

Secondly, where is a good place to get a tandem? I can't see myself spending more than R4000 (seeing that my girlfriend might not still like cycling in a few months...), so what could i expect to get for that much? What's the 2nd hand market like for tandems?

Thanks smiley1.gif

You should start referring to your Girlfriend and you EX girlfriendLOL if you go down the Tandem road 

Be very patient, dont expect her to be able to cycle the same ways as you do, expect some complaints/gripes from her that to you seem trivial but  remember this tandem rule at all times...........the stoker is always correct - there are never exceptions to this rule. Check www.tandencyclingsa.co.za for some beginner tips. mdk5552008-10-14 23:11:43

MDK555, you left out a couple of lines buddy

1) Out right Abuse

2) Pounding on your partners back

3) Stop this stupid bike let me get off ( I will walk )

4) Screaming at the top of your voice to slow down on the down hills

5) The stoker is NOT ALWAYS CORRECT!!!!

6) All picture and no sound when you eventually get home (Hubby thinks this is the best)

Must add once you get the nak of it, it's great fun..... (Just not the down hills, and no it doesn't help just closing your eyes)

Skye2008-10-14 23:19:31

I take it you are talking about road tandem... <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Try find a mate or a LSB or on www.tandencyclingsa.co.za  (like mdk555 said) to take one for a test ride first. A tandem is either a maker or breaker. I know of people from both sides of the fence.

I am in the same boat as my other half wants a MTB tandem. I am reluctant as we are on complete separate levels. Yet. I am willing to compromise knowing that at least I get to ride, regardless of the intensity, and spend time with her.

But. as for a 4k tandem. you are going to be very lucky to find someone that is in a predicament of choice... either the bike or the girl... <?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> and want s to get rid of it very quickly, or it will be a piece of junk that your experience on it will be rather a disappointing one.

Skye - by the sounds of it I am presume that you have had a bad tandem experience. Must be honest that I bought the tandem for the missus and I to ride together. When we rode social it was great fun but when it came to some funrides and the competitive edge came in the frustrations rose especially when we could not hang onto bunch.

The next season I rode with my boet and eventhough we weighed 200kg on the bike we had fun especially after fitting the Q-ring.

I take it you are talking about road tandem... <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Try find a mate or a LSB or on www.tandencyclingsa.co.za  (like mdk555 said) to take one for a test ride first.

and do it where no-one can see you make the initial mistakesLOLLOLLOL

mistakes... school fees rather... LOL It is great fun learning to ride a tandem. But you have to have a whole huge bag of "sense of humor" to start out. Main thing is... keep smiling and don?t fight... That will be the last ride you and the misses do.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We have been riding ONLY tandem since February 2002. Remember ..... tandem riding has NO grey areas..... either straight trought the divorce court or honeymoon bliss!!!!!! If it does not work stop immediately..... it is not worth the while to stuff up a relationship. Read the portion written by Sheldon Brown below carefully...... it tells you all you need to know

Try these links as well......

http://sheldonbrown.com/tandem/index.html ...........also see the linx at the bottom of the webpage

Sheldon Brown passed away a while ago but his amazing work continiues.

PS ignore what Skye is saying, although she is funny, she is the hysterical kind.
Big H2008-10-15 03:33:35

MDK555' date=' you left out a couple of lines buddy

1) Out right Abuse
2) Pounding on your partners back
3) Stop this stupid bike let me get off ( I will walk )
4) Screaming at the top of your voice to slow down on the down hills
5) The stoker is NOT ALWAYS CORRECT!!!!
6) All picture and no sound when you eventually get home (Hubby thinks this is the best)

Must add once you get the nak of it, it's great fun..... (Just not the down hills, and no it doesn't help just closing your eyes)

[/quote']

and your tandem partner was................

Hi Chris,

I bought a second ravo for 10K,  spent a couple more on pedals and saddles.  Second hand tantems seem to be in short supply so I would not worry about recovering your cash if things do not pan out.  It is great fun and believe me you get a good workout if your stoker is not as strong as you.  Our first tandem race was the lost city and we managed to hang in with the lead bunch up to the 45km mark.  It was real good fun while it lasted.  All the best with your tandem endeavours, give it your best shot. 

As long as your partner is lighter than you, you will have a ball.  Remember after a while you will both more or less be on the same fitness level

Thank goodness EM does not weigh as much as I do!!!!!!!!!

I agree with most especially THE STOKER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. Remenber she cannot see the bump in the road, she cannot put her leg out at the stop street if she does not opperate the brake lever. Make her as comfortable as you can (shockabsorber seat post etc.)

I have been tandeming for a bit more than a year and are completely hooked. I can put as much effort in as I want and my wife can put as much effort in as she wants and we still get to the destination at the same time. Before (single bikes) I had to either wait for my wife or she had to burn herself out trying to stay with me. 

Tandem riding is like dancing: You do not tell the stoker everything, she feels your next action after you have been "together" for a few months.

There has been two secondhand Peugeot tandems available for about R4000. One private and the other (it might still be there) at Cajee at Princess crossing in Roodepoort.

Never tell the stoker to Push they will push you on the back and tell you that they are pushing!!!!!!

i know this because thats what happened to me smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif