Training in the wind = hills??????

Guest Big H

hills usually end after a while and you can recover' date=' the wind just keeps on blowing.[/quote']

...but you can turn around and get the wind behind you!

Eat a tin of baked beans and you can get the wind behind you no matter where you live...

hills usually end after a while and you can recover' date=' the wind just keeps on blowing.[/quote']

Eat a tin of baked beans and you can get the wind behind you no matter where you live...

NOT GOOD ADVICE!!!!!!!! ...... we ride tandem and EM will blixem me verrrry hard. I would rather face the wind!!!!!!!

I have lived in Port Elizabeth all my life, I have been cycling for 22 years, most of it here and I still can't climb...so to answer your question, nope, wind doesn't help for climbing training.

hahaLOL

What is it about former Porra colonies- where I live its as flat as a snooker table, and normally howling from the SW, which means on my outbound ride I fly, and on the way back I have to push into a headwind. I can generate good, consistent power into the headwind, and have held up very well against a couple of very fast riders who weigh less than I do. They would leave me standing on the hills, but cannot pull away from me against the headwind.

What does this mean?

I think it means that the power to weight ratio advantage of a lighter rider is neutralised by literally being blown away- being kept back by the headwind. A heavier rider will do better against the wind than a lighter rider. So while headwind riding on flats will increase your power and stamina and you will be able to ride strongly, if you have to carry extra weight uphill you will tend to be put away in comparison to the lighter guys with better power to weight ratios. 

Whew. 

NOT GOOD ADVICE!!!!!!!! ...... we ride tandem and EM will blixem me verrrry hard. I would rather face the wind!!!!!!!

If anything, it will give you some motivation to ride faster so that you can get home quickerBig%20smile

naah, doesn't work that well. Try scrambled egss and bean soup!!!

I think it means that the power to weight ratio advantage of a lighter rider is neutralised by literally being blown away- being kept back by the headwind. A heavier rider will do better against the wind than a lighter rider. So while headwind riding on flats will increase your power and stamina and you will be able to ride strongly' date=' if you have to carry extra weight uphill you will tend to be put away in comparison to the lighter guys with better power to weight ratios. 

Whew. 
[/quote']

Whaaaatt?????ConfusedConfusedConfused

a bigger rider , is well, big. More surface for the wind to push against, easier....NOOOOOOOTTTTTTT. they shyte razorblades in the wind. While I sit in a vacuumLOLLOLLOL

is it Hills or HILLS!  I once found my lower back killed me on a steep, long, slightly tech MTB climb, even though the legs lasted. Your position is different then,  back muscles working being streched just a bit more than on a flat. Also the case because you've got to keep weight on the front wheel.

On tar maybe not so much, I would'nt know, have never done a 11km climb on tar Wink

Guess my advice is stretch your back as part of training if your're training for a hectic climb.

latentree2008-10-19 15:04:28