Grey imports

puzzler

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Add Mr Look and Shamus to the list. They are both hubbers and seem to take a genuine interest in sorting clients out.

i'd agree with you about the Raleigh guys. If they didn't have a good importing record, how else would they wrestle Northwave and Scott from the incumbents?

DR, I find myself agreeing almost entirely with your post... whilst still agreeing with Bruce... strange as it seems..

I still believe a good distributor should enjoy some privilege for laying out money, being expected to carry spares for 10 yr old parts, sponsorship, etc, etc. Note, I said a good distributor.. Those generally find a good market at the price they charge. Exactly like the Lbs...

There will always be consumers who are willing to pay a 'official price' for peace of mind, convenience, back up, etc, etc.

And then those who find the price diff to be so large, that they are willing to take the chance, precisely because the large price diff makes it worth the while to have no warranty etc, etc..

And thats great, free market is something I love..

An example of when I would be deeply pissed of as distributor is if I established and unknown brand in this country through advertising, promotions and good service over a number of years... and then someone imported a container load of the smae product and sold it out of his garage.... for example..

The two streams of market will exist side by side though because we have choice, just as you said..

Where I disagree with what has been said before by others, is to expect the official importer to take up warranty issues on behalf of a consumer who owns something that wasn't distributed through his channel..

I like what Hi Fi Corp does and with what CWC it seems does ( own warranty on goods ).

If that is made CLEAR to the consumer before purchase, then no worries as its free market and those with service and back up will always succeed. Official or parallel..

It took me a while to find it but here is where my serial number is :20081016_132303_serial.JPG

Sorry to be the one to break the news to you DR but you're been conned- badly. Your wheels are obviously fake, not even parallel. Look carefully- your serial number doesn't even have numbers- its all LETTERS!!!

Caveat Emptor.

This explains it all. In my view CWC did nothing wrong??

The authorised South African distributor of these products are under no obligation to honour the manufacturer's guarantees/warrantees or to provide aftersales service.

Chris Willemse Cycles and our international suppliers will still carry the normal warrantees/guarantees of these products aswell as providing aftersales service.

Sale of parallel or grey imports finally regulated

8 February 2007

The Minister of Trade and Industry, Mr Mandisi Mpahlwa signed a final regulation stipulating the disclosures sellers of parallel or grey goods are compelled to now make to consumers.

The regulations are the result of recommendations made by the Consumer Affairs Committee after it had conducted an investigation, following complaints that sellers failed to disclose upfront to consumers that the goods they were purchasing were parallel or grey goods.

The regulation was issued under section 12 of the Consumer Affairs (Unfair Business Practices) Act, No 71 of 1988. The final regulations have been published in Government Gazette No. 29600 and these regulations become effective on Friday, 9 February 2007.

Parallel or grey goods

Parallel or grey goods are intended for sale in one national market, but exported from their original destination for sale in another market, for example, South Africa. It should not be confused with counterfeit goods.

Parallel or grey goods are sold legitimately both locally and worldwide. They may, however, be distinguished by lack of an agreement between the seller and manufacturer or trademark holder to sell the goods. If the seller sells the goods despite not having such an agreement, the goods are known as parallel or grey goods. If the sellers of these identical goods entered into an agreement with the manufacturer or trademark, they are deemed authorised distributors.

Safety and warranties

Parallel goods are sold legitimately in South Africa and are suitable for use in this country. If it were unsuitable, the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) would not permit their sale.

A primary consideration for consumers when purchasing goods from an authorised or non-authorised seller or distributor is warranties. Authorised sellers will usually offer consumers a manufacturer's warranty, while unauthorised sellers would not. However, sellers of parallel goods may offer their own warranties, which may be equivalent to the manufacturer's warranty.

Nature of investigation

The committee's investigation involved issues like the disclosure of the status of such goods as well as the nature and extent of any warranty provided by the seller or manufacturer of the goods and after-sales services for these goods provided by the seller.

Parallel or grey goods are not limited to electronic goods, but include any product sold without the specific authorisation of the manufacturer or trademark holder like motor vehicles, audiovisual equipment, agricultural machinery and equipment, photocopiers and computers.

During the investigation, discussions were held with various interested parties, including sellers of parallel/grey goods. Their comments supported the investigation. All stakeholders consulted by the Department of Trade and Industry (dti) contributed positively and were supportive and co-operative.

Consumer rights

The committee found that it is a consumer's basic right to be informed that the manufacturers warranty does not apply when an unauthorised distributor sells parallel or grey goods. If such information is withheld from consumers, they are misled, which means that the relevant business practices is unfair to consumers.

As a result, the Minister of Trade and Industry requires sellers of parallel/grey goods to alert consumers that they are not authorised distributors of these products and that authorised distributors are not obliged to honour manufactures' warranties or guarantees or to provide after-sales support.

Sellers should inform consumers of these goods of its parallel or grey status by the following words in all advertising and in-store promotions, websites, brochures and whilst being displayed for sale, in conspicuous size, without change. "The authorised South African distributor of this product is under no obligation to honour the manufacture's guarantees/warranties or to provide after sales service."

Any contravention of the Minister's order is a criminal offence, punishable by a fine not exceeding R200 000, or imprisonment for a period not exceeding five years, or both a fine and imprisonment.

Should you require any additional information or clarification you can contact:

The Chief Director
CCRD: Office of Consumer Protection
Private Bag X84
Pretoria
Tel: (012) 394 1507
E-mail: ebimo@thedti.gov.za

Issued by: Department of Trade and Industry
Source: Department of Trade and Industry (http://www.dti.gov.za)

Add Mr Look and Shamus to the list. They are both hubbers and seem to take a genuine interest in sorting clients out.

i'd agree with you about the Raleigh guys. If they didn't have a good importing record' date=' how else would they wrestle Northwave and Scott from the incumbents? [/quote']

Generally, all a manfacturer is interested in is -

a)He feels the appointed distributor is keeping to his projected sales figures and sufficient product is been sold in the area.

b)He has been recieving payment regularly.

Normally, its a combination of both and the relationship is breaking down or already broken down.

So along comes a competitor and says to the manufacturer, distributor X sold 100 of your products a month, give us the distribution rights and we guarantee 120 units a month.

If all is well between the supplier and customer, they would normally just say, sorry, we have a distributor, but if relationships are strained....................the distribution may well move. However not many suppliers do this easily, SA is a distant market to most and one they may not understand well, usually they will only move as a last resort.

***Definition***

Grey import: Goods ilegally brought over South Africa borders without paying VAT and import taxes.

Parrallel import: Goods imported into South Africa legally by means of paying VAT and import taxes.

South africa has a FREE MARKET system and companies like the one in question can do just about nothing.

I had the same issues with Diadora and they soon realized that our laws are different than theirs. 

The law states that if the dealer is not an authorized reseller they must just let the buyer know of this and that the authorized dealer are under no obligation to service the goods bought from the non authorized dealer.

Companies like the big name will shy away from bad publicity as their goods carry an international warrentee and they will simply tell the authorized dealers to service the goods.

CWC are not doing anything wrong and it's the agents in SA who is the culprits in charging up rediculous prices and making the consumer pay for their nice big cars.

CWC: I'll stand by you guys all the way and if you need any assistance, I'll be glad to help. 

Most people know I am as poor as a churchmouse and do very little buying unless it's really needed. I have never bought from CWC although I still remember them being in Rondebosch, near the Pig 'n Whistle, years ago, as a kid.

I have read the last 19 pages (as education) and have really taken note of everyone's point of view. Some people here know the law and one can learn from it. The 2 points that I feel I HAVE to mention are:

1:

Chris

Willemses' store has been raided and all grey import Mavic

Wheelsets from which the serial numbers have been removed were

confiscated.

This was done to protect the public from buying Mavic wheelsets which are brought into the country in an illict manner.

The fact that you mention "buying Mavic wheelsets"' date=' you meant they are genuine. How does "buying a genuine product", brought into the country in an illicit manner, protect the public? Maybe protects you.

Riding with wheels like these will not only void the warranty but may expose the cyclist to a wide range of liability issues.

Do you control CWC' s warranties? If not, how can you say riding with these wheels will void the warranty? Maybe the SA distributors warranty. I promise you, I won't be held liable for riding with grey import wheels. If the grey importer never paid vat or customs, that's his baby with Trevor.

Mavic takes quality and service very seriously and will do anything in their power to protect the public from pirated products.

Now I know why you ran away after your post !!Angry To insinuate that CRC's products are pirated, takes big balls or plain stupidity. They might be, I don't know, but you better have your ducks in a row

Boy am i glad i got mine from a reputable dealer -  they have changed my cycling experience

... now go back and see if they will sell you a spine

oh, by the way, as far as I have seen, hear on the hub, CRC is a reputable dealer. Maybe you meant "from a Mavic acredited dealer"

[/quote']

2:

How can anyone, in any sane way, compare a woman to a wheel Shocked

I recently sent a wheel into the "authorized agents in SA", wont menstion brand, BUT. I was charged R1500 for a free body on the wheel. I hopped onto the internet and 2 hours later I bought one from the UK for R450, shipping: R100 making a total of R550. The agants quoted me a month and a half waiting time. I had mine in 3 weeks from the non authorized agent. mmm, which is better to the consumer???

Agents only add huge markups, due to the fact that they carry the "authorized" badge, a load of bull man!

These dinosaurs needs to get with the time.

I've had many times that shops like CWC went FAR out of their way to help me, as to say for the "agents", they did NOTHING but charge a massive pricetag onto theirs with no added benifit whatsoever. Maybe teaching me to save my money for 3 times as long as I would buying from someone else but that's it.

I just checked on 2 sets of Mavic wheels:

I got the one while overseas and the other from SA. Bought from a authorized dealers, guess what...

NO SERIALS!!!

Does that mean now that Mavic SA sells Fake wheels?

and Mavic EU as well...lol

I'm sure they don't.

CWC' date=' can I apply for the job of proof reader before HR is called for the interview?[/quote']

the job's mine. but only after i finish my contract with comira wheels. oops,, sorry corima wheels.

Why would you want to remove the serial number from the wheels, or anything for that matter. Stolen cars, weapons, etc serial numbers(VHN) get removed as well?

Just checked my wheels, is the serial number the one with a bar code? If it is , its a sticker, which will fall off anyway eventually. Serial numbers should be engraved on.

Also checked my wheels last night and they also have the black bar coded stickers on them.Big%20smile So I quess my wheels are not grey they are black.LOL