Song of the day, add your current favourite....

SwissVan

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CCR are timeless

Coincidence. I was listening to the same song on my way to work this morning. And the same thoughts.

I don't think enough credit is given to this band today. They are seen as something that old toppies (like myself ) listen to at the braai by themselves. Or it's played in pubs where grey bearded bikers hang out. Or songs that old people do stupid moves to at weddings.

John Foggerty was a "diep seun." You can hear it in the lyrics. 

The oldies take us back to a time that was , in our minds at least , better. A comfort zone.

Edited by Blokman

CCR are timeless

That video brings back memories … I was fortunate to have been in the parachute battalion, and although I am in 2 minds about having those years over again, those were definitely some of the most amazing experiences I had …. especially the camaraderie that is formed.... the bonds formed in shared agony. 

As a teenager you don’t always realize at the time, but some suffering/torment goes a long way to preparing you for the future.  I don’t especially like guns, still don’t own one … it wasn’t about that ….  It was about the experience.

:)

Coincidence. I was listening to the same song on my way to work this morning. And the same thoughts.

I don't think enough credit is given to this band today. They are seen as something that old toppies (like myself ) listen to at the braai by themselves. Or it's played in pubs where grey bearded bikers hang out. Or songs that old people do stupid moves to at weddings.

John Foggerty was a "diep seun." You can hear it in the lyrics. 

The oldies take us back to a time that was , in our minds at least , better. A comfort zone.

That same evening I ended up making diner with CCR blaring away .... some solo karaoke and serious dance moves incorporating a wooden spoon and I had some serious fun! 

50/50 for me

Metallica a gazillion times better, sorry to have to tell you so bluntly, you normally have impeccable taste!  ;)  :)

David Kramer and Schalk Joubert rehearsing Botteltjie Blou

David Kramer sure has a way with words, and tells a story like very few can

Botteltjie Blou
Vir 'n slang is ek nie bang nie

Hulle kan nie vir my vang nie

Maar vir jou, vir jou, vir jou my botteltjie blou

Skurwe hande, ek is sonder tande

En ekke, ekke woon hier teen die berg se hange

Jys te rou, jys te rou, jys te rou, my botteltjie blou

Maar daars 'n klip in jou hand en jy vloek en jy huil

Jou oe is geel en jou vel is vuil

O vanaand steek, die honger weer soos doring draad

Ek se nog n paar sente van die lee borrels

Maak toe jou oe, maak oop jou gorrel

Die duiwel het lankal die engeltjies omgepraat

Ek se sny die brood, ek is, ek is in die nood

En ek le stukkend in die sloot

Ja dis die blou, dis die blou, dis die blou wat aan jou derems so kou

En die honde blaf en ek, ekke huil

Net waar ek klop skree hulle voetsek

Ja jys te rou, te rou, te rou my…

My Dad played Royal hotel everytime we car triped to kruger 

Metallica a gazillion times better, sorry to have to tell you so bluntly, you normally have impeccable taste!  ;)  :)

I agree ... hence the 50/50 note :P

My Dad played Royal hotel everytime we car triped to kruger 

I have briefly met David Kramer twice.

The first time I was too young to be in school, in the Transvaal somewhere, but I recall meeting him at what I think was a Holiday In kind of place .... and I can still him and his red shoes.

Then I met him again earlier this year outside a hospital while waiting for a friend who ran in to get something ... was so freeking excited, but did my best to act cool and not go "full groupy"