Bos: 200 metres in 9.772 seconds

Chrispy

Bos: 200 metres in 9.772 seconds

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/feb05/sydney05/session2/MG15alt.jpg

23 year-old Theo Bos smashed an 11 year-old record Saturday in Moscow, going 200 metres in 9.772 seconds on the Siberian larch "Krylatskoye" velodrome. The Dutchman set the world record for the flying distance, last held by Canadian Curt Harnett, who set a time of 9.865 seconds on 28 September 1995 in Bogota, Colombia.

"It was a childhood dream that I had," said Bos after taking the record to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Every day I was thinking of this record and it has been more than one month that I have concentrated on this date."

Even more impressive was that Bos set the record at sea level, or 200 metres, versus the record of Harnett, which was at 2,600 metres in decreased air density. For the attempt he mounted a 51x15 gearing (7.57 metre development) that allowed him to cover 20,466 metres pre second, or averaging 73.767 km/h. On the road, sprinters like Robbie McEwen hit speeds of 70 km/hr but that is after being launched from the front end of a speeding peloton.

Theo Bos has intention of shifting his focus to the road racing after the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Whats even more impressive is the fact that 7 guys went under 10 sec.

Wonder where its going to stop.

Dont forget that this isnt actually the fastest time ever ridden. Barry Forde rode 9.70 in Equador in October 2002 at the Pan Am Games, but the record was not allowed because of altitude and the lack of backup electronic timing.

Just wondering...Is this 200m from standstill or from a flying lap? I now nothing about track racing....Embarrassed

Good question..

I like ur avatar.... what is he licking though? LOL

I think though that that had to be a flying start - no ways like match sprint event - i think

those speed are phenomanal though, i think i could go faster though under the right circumstances .... LOL

It's a flying 200 and the event is used as seeding for the match sprints. Sub 10sec times are extremely rare and Curt Harnett's time has always been debatable given his dubious doping record.

It's a flying 200 and the event is used as seeding for the match sprints. Sub 10sec times are extremely rare and Curt Harnett's time has always been debatable given his dubious doping record.

Thanks Sir Fred!

Now kindly get back to work LOL