MTB and Rock

linnega

While Austin is on the topic of "MTB Rocks" - I remembered that there had been a bit of discussion about which tyres to ride on and Rock had mentioned that he really enjoyed his Specialized tyres that he had stumbled across and TitusTi gave the range a thumbs up.

Well, I was idling around a bike shop in Durban and I noticed the Specialized range was in stock.  Basically similar tread pattern and a mixture of different compounds and height of knobs to achieve slightly different results.  Well I ended up getting a Specialized Pro Roll-X tyre.  For the first time since I started riding the MTB (a little over 18 months now) I was immediately comfortable with the grip and roll of the tyre.  It feels fast and seems to stick through all sorts of mud, soft sand, roots.  I think I have found my tyre of choice especially after the Larsen TT's were absolute crap during the DusiMfula race - rubbish in the mud and rubbish on the sand.

Mr Sauser said he is testing brand new, even better Specialized tyres at present. Will try and scale some from him or his mechanic when he joins us for the Giro...

ja, I love my Spez Fast Traks......on my 2nd set now (not that I wore out the first set, just sold the bike and demaned a new pair on the new bike)

heard crazy things about Saiser adn tyres - like 350g tubeless ones......hectic

Not that crazy, if I recall Mr Stan is making them for him, Stan has the lightest tubeless bead in existence. In fact I have a set of his 29'er tubeless tyres, they weigh less than 500g.

Good question, in fact so far the only places I've had the balls to use these things is at the 24 hour race in Jo'Burg last year and the 8 hour race at Delvera and at Delvera I had no control whatsoever. This is what they look like!

20061219_024005_Stans29er_Small.JPG

all hail King StanHug

Fast trak's are great, a bit squirrely if you start to roll them over to the shoulder.

Trying WTB Mutano Raptor as present and am suitably impressed...

now if only the darn Kenda Small Block Eights would make an appearance in my mail box....

so you're saying they're bald - like the guy in the pic ? LOL

Can you see them? Bottom left, they're alot smoother than they look.

You waiting for SME GoLefty!? I do have a certain contact for Kenda's in the States? It's just a process of getting them here.

I remember a time when know one would even consider Kenda Tyres, Maxxis too for that matter - bring on the Panaracer smoke/dart combo  - or better yet white Onza Porcupines !

there's a serious bunch of folk in the states that collect and build up "vintage" bikes with old school 90's parts - selling unused purple anodized crap for a fortune on ebay.

I managed to get my grubby little paws on some purple anodized nipples, my new road wheelset is now built up with them, gonna put the purple Michelin tyres on them as well. It looks trully hideous built onto a red bike, fantastic!

I remember a time when know one would even consider Kenda Tyres' date=' Maxxis too for that matter - bring on the Panaracer smoke/dart combo  - or better yet white Onza Porcupines ![/quote']

Still have a set of onza's hanging in my garage to remind me of the good ole days.Lots of tread left on themSmile