Reacting positively to cycling deaths

Relentless

During my solo training side this morning - prep for the Argus - with all the deaths and injuries experienced by our brethren (and sistren) I realised that my mojo has been affected.

No longer do I carefree don my cycling kit, saddle up and ride off into the dawn. From the moment I enter the first turn, the hairs on the back of my bristle ... and who knows what may happen over the next hour or two?

Anyway, I was contemplating along the ride, that one needs a positive outlet for all this pent-up negativity. And I'm sure that there are others who feel the same way too.

Here's my suggestion, and let me know what you guys think?

I'd be willing to make a donation, say a coupla hundred rand, to a fund - administered maybe by admin, or someone honest, for them to have some big obviously visible "Beware cyclists" stickers printed.

Furthermore, I am prepared to go out one night under the cloak of darkness stick this on all the big road traffic direction signs (those big green ones) on all my popular cycling routes. This will deface, at the very least, the RH corner of the road sign, but will hopefully at least get the message across without detracting too much from the signage. In particular I'd like to focus on the spots where we've had some fatalities (e.g. Bottelery Rd, etc).

So what do you guys think? Can this work?

Cool idea Clap

BUT defacing another sign even slightly is illegal. You will have to get full proper signs up and I don't know the legal requirements etc.

Would be nice to remind drivers though.

I think anything will work at this stage.... and on that point, how difficult can it be for PPA to negotiate "Beware cyclists training" boards on all the major training rides around the Cape???

Ohhhh......

I hope you have  good armor suit.........how can you suggest something ILLEGAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?  You philistine!
I can hear the peoples cocking the guns.......

You are so dead!!!!http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/2ar15smilie.gif

20061219_023939_14_6_12.gifhttp://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/2guns.gifhttp://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/kali.gifhttp://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/kboom.gif

I am game to do that in Pretoria.  What about a can of spray paint and spray it on the road?

Cool idea Clap

BUT defacing another sign even slightly is illegal. You will have to get full proper signs up and I don't know the legal requirements etc.

Would be nice to remind drivers though.

I don't think thats gonna work... drivers can't even obey the speed limits. How are they gonna treat warning signs for cyclists? Exactly the same.

There's only one way to deal with it. Handle it the way Saudi Arabia handles drug dealers etc. When you go into the airport there's a sign "the penalty for possession of drugs is death..." thats where you turn right around or throw whatever you have away,  thats how you handle it, punishment, as in serious punishment. Then there will be RESPECT.

may i suggest something, costs nothing, imagine everybody does it. Don't cycle with an attitude   Hug

...Don't cycle with an attitude 

...or high heels.  Big%20smile

High heels are too expensive - attitudes are free.

One of the guys here in Durban stuck a whole bunch of "safe passing distance 1.5m" signs on all his favourite routes after Mark Hegedus was killed.  Got him a fair amount of publicity and the city manager gave a statement that no legal action would be taken as the signs were in the public interest.

may i suggest something' date=' costs nothing, imagine everybody does it. Don't cycle with an attitude   Hug[/quote']

I agree with that but sometimes it really doesn't matter what you do as with most things! I try to avoid confrontation whenever I ride and I now avoid training in large groups but sometimes it comes to find you anyway, and when it does there is not much you can do.

...Don't cycle with an attitude 

...or high heels.  Big%20smile

You see woman in Italy do this. They were cycling in a skirt and high heels, and they didn't flash once. Was pretty impressive.

I must admit, I myself have never got much slack from cars. Then again I'm not agro like some the male cyclists I know. Sheesh, never let you child join them they'd learn a new language. Actually it's quite funny, a car does something, the guys go off their rocker, then see you sitting in the bunch and start aplogising profusely. LOL

Dingbats....

Yeah a few of the groups in town are like that, hence the reason I prefer to train away from them nowadays. It ruins my ride about as quickly as cars do!