Wearing a Helmet

The Saint

As a regular rider in the Alberton area I often go out on the Xumbug meet on Saturday and Sunday mornings. It still baffels me to see guys who are out there not wearing helmets.

I find these rides sometimes particularly dangerous firstly due to the amount of people present and secondly due to the inexperience of bunch riding of some of the participants.

A few months ago I saw a guy hit a rock in the middel of the road and he fell extremely hard. On stopping to help him out of the road and to call his wife to come and pick him up we noticed that his helmet was completely split open. It was a Giro by the way. This small reletively inexpensive piece of equipment propably saved this guys life.

It just never fails to amuse me that someone can ride a bike worth 25K and not make an investment from R300 to save his life.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have destoyed 3 helmet already !! From the cheap Raleigh to the expensive Giro's . A lot of people have said to me before that they think I have fallen onto my head one time to many , but the fact is I am still around today because of that piece of foam .

Bike of 25K not equal to R300 helmet. I think you shouldn't try saving on the helmet part. Bike = 20K and you've got room for helmet of better quality. And it's something to look at.

Hey MuXmAn, I also often join the bunch down there. Yip, it gets very scary but prepares you well for races, you learn very quickly how to ride in a bunch.

There are two guys in that bunch that you will never see with a helmet on. Everyone has tried and now we just ignore them!!

I regularly join the same group and I've noticed the same thing.

Speaking for myself, I would rather spend the extra on a helmet and enjoy my R25k bike than have to sit in a wheelchair and watch it gather dust!

Twice I had my head saved by helmet, doing a endo on a sidewalk and crashing into a lamppost. I will never get onto my bike without a helmet.

No were's Linnega? Maybe we can start a helmet debate and prevent a boring day on the hub?

Ja I also see the 2 of them. I tend to think that there should be legislation from the government that wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle is a legal requirement. The same rule as with motorbikes or any uncovered vehicle should apply.

Twice I had my head saved by helmet' date=' doing a endo on a sidewalk and crashing into a lamppost. I will never get onto my bike without a helmet.

No were's Linnega? Maybe we can start a helmet debate and prevent a boring day on the hub?

[/quote']

LMAO at the lamppost.... Pray tell us the story.

maybe the organiser should carry a heavy wooden ruler around and rap non helmeted fools over the head repeatedly. and maybe a kick in the balls too.

otherwise tell them to piss off

Cyclists with no helmets is "organ donors" and what makes me also da moer in is when the "cool" cyclist do not say or wave hello when you greet them!Angry

I'm completely baffled by people that ride without helmets - no matter how "slowly" you are going, when your skull hits tar the tar wins. 

I had a nasty crash a few months ago and thought that I hadn't actually hit my head because I didn't even have a headache.  When I got home and checked out my helmet it was cracked all the way across the top - Rudy Project saved my skull.

When I just started cycling, my hubby said to me if you have a R50 brain then get yourself a R50 helmet so I always try and buy the best quality helmet I can afford.  Wonder if riding without a helmet means that you have no brain?

I have worked in a bike shop for a couple of years and over the years we collected helmets of people that were in a crash just show fellow cyclist how important it is to wear a helmet. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

One of the guys on the hub got a signature saying 'What do you call a cyclist with out a helmet? A organ donor'

all i'll say on this matter is that my skull has now been saved twice (once by bell and once by giro) and i will never ride without a helmet. michH and amateur can both testify to what my atmos looked like after the amashova - if it hadn't been correctly fitted to my head i would have left my grey matter on the tarmac in Kloof, no doubt about it.

Yeah, I know the feeling, got t-boned by a car a little while back, 2 cars then played ping-pong with my head. Heads fine (I was this screwed before, so nothings changed), helmet wasn't.