Dure Ace Gears

gasant112

This is bugging me ...

I have been told the following and I am not happy with this ...

Bought me a new Dure Ace Groupset and " boy " I could not wait to test my baby out.....Wink

1..When I am on the Small Blade ...and move my gears over to smallest 1(CLUSTER)..I hear the chain scrapping against the front durailer..went back to my LBS...and they told me that I need to move over the big blade..WHEN moving to the smallest gear

They say I am not using my gears right...I say fQ#$%@^k that...they done a k#%^#&k JOB Soorry for the language but yirre Angry

Should this happen

Absolute bollocks...I ran DA 52-39 11-23 and never had any scraping noise. Check the cleareance of the front derallieur from the big ring...

The chain is running at an angle across the gears, chain are very simple things and were never really designed to be twisted along there length. This will then wear out your chain and cassette and chain rings rather quickly.

angle the front derailleur so that it toes in slightly, this will allow cross chaining.

The other option is too take a screw driver, insert between the deraileur cage plates and lever the cage wider.

This also solves the cros chain induced rub.

Ya sure you should never cross chain but it happens..

On my old Centaur groupset I could crosschain from 39->11 without a worry. Now with the Chorus, I can't crosschain at all...it seems to be the teeth on the 53blade picking up the chain and then throwing it off... I suppose it's time I learned not to cross-chain LOL

with narrow chain 10speed system and the width of the cassettes chain lift on the big ring can occur.

Have not experienced it on my Record / FSA drivetrain yet.

GoLefty!! can't it also be that the BB sizes my differ? A narrower BB vs a wider BB...wider allowing more room for the chain...

Campy lets you make smaller adjustments on the front derailer.  That helps with the rubbing.

Fatty, I think you are right.  A wider BB would give you less of a problem.

I am running 53/39 and 23/11 and I can use ANY gear combination without any problems.

But that said, YOU SHOULD NEVER STRAIN YOUR CHAIN!!!  If it brakes 100km from home or in a race, you are pretty much screwed.....in a bad way.

Luckily for me I have no idea what a BB is. This is why I firmly believe in the profession of the Bike Mechanic.

If it's a ten speed it doesn't mean it's ten usable gears. The amount of strain you put on the chain is not worth it.

On my 39, I'll use from 1 to 9 and on the 53 I'll use the 2 to 10.  Gear 1 being the 23 en 1 being the 11.

Work out your ratio's and you'll see which gear you can use instead of the 39/11.

Other big issue is when you're on the 53/23 and you drop to the 39 your chain may (almost always) fall off.

My golden rule is to keep the chain as straight as possible.

I can cross chain with my 10 speed Chorus.

However, I try not too. Anyway, you can normally find another gear thats more efficient.