The Muxmans stupid question page

The Saint

Right here goes the next question. I am currently riding with a Tiagra groupset, why would I want to go for a Dura Ace or 105?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right here goes the next question. I am currently riding with a Tiagra groupset' date=' why would I want to go for a Dura Ace or 105?[/quote']

DuraAce - yes; 105 - No

There is a significant quality difference and price between Tiagra and DuraAce ... to go from Tiagra to 105; I would say u wasting yr bucks?

Right here goes the next question. I am currently riding with a Tiagra groupset' date=' why would I want to go for a Dura Ace or 105?[/quote']

DuraAce - yes; 105 - No

There is a significant quality difference and price between Tiagra and DuraAce ... to go from Tiagra to 105; I would say u wasting yr bucks?

For the average fun, competitive, licensed non sponsored rider DA is overkill, nice to have but not essential. IMO keep the Tiagra and in a few years time upgrade to a 105 or Ultegra, or a combination of the 2<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

you would rather like to change to ultegra not dura ace...dura ace will cost you well in the 10 thousand.....ultegra is great for the amateur rider and you can get dura ace when you sign your contract with microsoft...

reasons to change from tiagra is weight an easier and smoother gear changeing

Ok this is great....once again some fantastic advise....thanks so much to all those who participated.

Now I have a technical question.

At what angle should your leg be at the top of your pedal stroke. I have heard it should be 90 degrees but for me to get this angle on my bike I would have to be sitting pretty much on top of the cluster. I may have misunderstood this and maybe it is your thigh that should be at 90 to your hips. The angle I am looking for is your thigh in relation to your shin.

Ok this is great....once again some fantastic advise....thanks so much to all those who participated.

Now I have a technical question.

At what angle should your leg be at the top of your pedal stroke. I have heard it should be 90 degrees but for me to get this angle on my bike I would have to be sitting pretty much on top of the cluster. I may have misunderstood this and maybe it is your thigh that should be at 90 to your hips. The angle I am looking for is your thigh in relation to your shin.

Not sure why you would want to know what this angle should be? Cannot say I have heard much use of this angle, but I would say that if your saddle height and saddle fore / aft position is set up correct then ?the angle? would also be correct?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Perhaps you want to know how to set up your saddle height correctly?? If so you will find there are a number of different ways to do this, most of them require a measurement of your leg (inseam) and a formula to apply this measurement to, with which you obtain a measurement for your saddle height ??

They all work and will come up with more or less the correct saddle height.

Another way to do it without the fuss of measuring and calculating (i.e. it can be done anywhere, anytime) is to sit on your bike in your cycling kit including your cycling shoes, place both the heels of your shoes (feet in your cycling shoes) on the part of the pedal  that your shoe would normally clip into (pedal should be flat as in the normal cycling position), rotate the cranks until 1 pedal is exactly in the 6 and the other at 12 o clock position. Adjust your seat height so that the foot in the 6 o clock position is straight enough that your heel just barely makes contact with the pedal (just brushes the pedal).

It is a good idea to ride around for 10 ? 15 minutes before using this method, to get your muscles and joints warmed up an flexible as they would be when riding.

Note that all the methods you use will result in a basic position which may need fine tuning at a later stage depending on how you feel and progress.

Generally if your quads are getting tired easily or your knee cap is painful your saddle could be to low, if you get pain behind your knee (between the hamstring and top of your calf) your saddle may be to high.

Thanks Swiss, this is exactly what I wanted to know.

Right now a question all beginners would like to ask.

Do you ride with or without underpants?Tongue Not that I want to brag or anything.

Just to add my 2c .

The BB is what is known as an external BB set . Easy to maintain and a must on MTB . There are a few models available i.e LX.XT etc for Shimano and then another few models in the RaceFace stable . Donno bout the roadie junk .

Have you got any idea what a pair of underpants weighs ?

Thanks Swiss' date=' this is exactly what I wanted to know.

Do you ride with or without underpants?Tongue Not that I want to brag or anything.
[/quote']

Me...Undies no, speedo yes and even running shorts Embarrassed on a few occasions (Long distance tri's). TBH i never really experianced any major discomfort or problems with the speedo or running shorts on these occasions.

The general ruling I believe is to never ride with undies under your cycling shorts, however I have seen a few cyclists who do and they were not beginners, so like all things in life it depends on you?. As long as you are comfortable and happy.

Back to the Ultegra and Dura Ace question... RATHER BUY A MOUNTAIN BIKE!!!

OK, now that I've got that out my system...

Thanks Swiss' date=' this is exactly what I wanted to know.

[/quote']

Brag?

I'd say depends how far and often you ride.  When I started (MTB with slicks, eventually replaced front suspension with hard fork for more speed), weekend rides of 50-60km was OK with underwear.

When I upgraded to road and started riding 5-6 times a week doing between 30 and 60 km per day and 80-100 km over weekends, the underpants went very quickly as it caused terrible chaffing (for me).  Maybe it was the type of underwear - I think the part housing the elastics would get soggy and put pressure on soft places Wink

Cycling pants are made to be worn without underpants.  Try with and without and see what works for you - the first couple of times without is very weird but most guys ride without (my wife refuses).

Good luck Tongue

K so riding without jocks seems to be the general consensus - seems like cycling is a sport where all the guys just "hang around".

So next question - anyone out there got a carbon seatpost and handlebar gathering dust that they would like to sell?