Don't drive left of the yellow line

Windbreaker

Your standard motorist is a moron. I've seen this twice this morning on Ontdekkers. They came from behind, and both incidents happened at a turnoff. One to go down 14th Avenue, and the other down Gordon Rd. So I cycle along, 30km/h+ staying in the lane thats going straight. First motorist(14th Ave), came past... couldn't judge my speed(this was a white oak) when I was riding faster than he thought I was, he accelerates, handsigns bla bla bla... Second incident at gordon(shell garage) came right from behind"Oh sh*t, I must turn left here" slams on the brakes, ...  So problem: none of the idiots could plan what they needed to do. Its at the last moment , brakes, hooters... its rather not because I'm cycling where I'm cycling. they're f()(&(ing incompetent to drive. the scary thing is the first car was an Opel Cadet(94 shape) , mags, dropped suspension... this is probarly a guy who races, but he can't handle a f_cking simple situation on the road. Second one was a normal car, Hyandai Getz. No planning where they're going. these people belongs in a creche, they're have the brain expansion of a circus monkey.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and then there is the dangerous Hendrik Potgieter, which some air head has decided does not need an emergency lane, as the traffic congestion has worsened. Doesn't matter how careful you are, it will be some other idiot that will whack into you. Cervelo, bud, I have also had numerous incidents along Ontdekker, with 'incompetent motorists' not knowing where to turn, or in such a rush, swapping lanes, driving like the air heads they are. 

don't agree that a road can be dangerous, its rather motorists that are dangerous, because of the lack of skill(most can't drive,and if you can't drive, ABS, stabilizers on your BMW won't help much), selfishness,impatience, and lack of traffic control that make it dangerous.

I totally agree with you cervelo.  Having been a cyclist that was hit by a car because the motorist just "didn't see me" makes me tired and sick of how most of them drive.  I really wish there was some way to make motorist aware of how irresposible they are to other road users. After all the road does not belong to only them!!!

Us carbon aficianados aside (ie Have's)...One would think that in a country where the have not's far exceed the have's a cheap form of transport such as bicycles would be supported by the authorities? 

Its an interesting comment you make and I agree, but in general the authorities have no interest in cyclists, we bring in no revenue (licensing fees to muncipalities), we have no financial risk (fines for unroadworthy bikes etc!!) and generally we operate outside of accepted road norms, so there is no urgency to look after us as far as they are concerned. 

Making a sweeping statement like saying the majority of motorists are ignorant Cervelo is quite ridiculous (even if you believe it to be true) - we need to get over this mentality of "us and them" we all use the road and we all need to get along together, by and large we are in the minority and need to get our house in order first, before we start pointing fingers and making sweeping, inflamatory and largely incorrect statements.

Training on the roads is quite a dangerous pastime but much worse is using them for work. I used to work as a cycle courier, it is unreal, you people wouldn't believe the actual carnage out there, one thing it taught me however is self awareness is key! If you don't pay attention to what is going on around you you're dead. But that being said all you can really do is minimise the risks, at some point you're still gonna have things go beyond your control.

Widget, I would like to fine-tune Cervelo's statment by saying the following:

Majority of motorists are ignorant as far as the rights of cyclists on the roads.

Most of them are of the opinion that cyclists should be using the pavement or be riding somewhere else.  You can test this by asking any non cycling motorist and see what the response is.

we as cyclists have to think for the other party as well. A couple of times it happened now - i can hear oncoming traffic and as soon as the vehicle is next to me it slows down. Why..? Wants to make a left turn Angry

Luckily i was ready for this every time so far.. Shocked

On the positive side. Yesterday on my way to RooiEls, cars were slow moving for km's long, beaches were packed. How nice of motorists to notice you approaching and make way  Thumbs%20Up  I'm making a point of acknowledging each 

speaking of yellow lines i was up in Jhb for a week with the folks and i stayed near Lanseria which is near fourways area and i saw a lot of cyclelab riders on the elandsdrift road who were riding 3 abreast which i think should be stopped, my mom gets quite irritated with them every saturday as the bunch likes to take up the whole road, cyclelab should nominate somebody in the group to keep control of the situation, as soon as people get into a group as in the races, the whole road becomes a bikers playground and this leads to hatred against cyclists... come on guys stick to the rules of the road....keep it skinnyTongue

Good tactic landie, it's kinda like training a dog, reward it for good behaviour, be stern with bad behaviour.

...riders on the elandsdrift road who were riding 3 abreast which i think should be stopped...' date=' [/quote']

I live in the four ways area and this behaviour is all too common, I dont want to get into a "this club and that club" scenario, its just very prevalent by the majority of cyclists here.!

A kind of a "up yours attitude."

...............and heaven forbid if one hoots,..............you are likely to recieve so many verbal insults, disgracefull signs and threats to your physical well been and safety it will make your head spin and turn you against all cyclists on the road in the future.

.................so No, in general we cyclists are a lot to blame for our own problems, instead of pointing fingers and making inflammatory comments, we need to look first and foremost, at our own habits and conduct on the road.   

Oh Widget.  <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Again, you stand up for the poor motorists as do many other on this Cycling Forum.  Poor them.  The abuse they get......

I can name 15 times this week where a motorist has been unnecessary agro and plain RUDE.  Couple of close calls.
Even my wife asked me what their (motorists?) issues are. 

Let?s not get into who is to blame.  But rather what IS BEING DONE or CAN BE DONE.......bla...bla....bla.....always the same story......shame.....

I dont understand your attitude spidy, you seem to feel its quite okay to be rude, indifferant, arrogant, offensive, macho or plain dumb..............as long as you are a cyclist that is.! 

..............nothing will change until attitudes change and as in any walk of life its the minority who need to toe the line, as cyclists we remain the minority by a massive margin, so its up to US to change not the motoring public.

Widget, I'm saying that the majority don't have the ability to drive a car effectively and safely. They don't /can't plan what to do in the simplest of situations. Like looking further ahead than their noses, say 100m, in a 60 zone thats 6 seconds. They only see their bonnets, and probalry only after its hit a cyclist or something. since then "I didn't see him"

I dont understand your attitude spidy' date=' you seem to feel its quite okay to be rude, indifferant, arrogant, offensive, macho or plain dumb..............as long as you are a cyclist that is.! 

..............nothing will change until attitudes change and as in any walk of life its the minority who need to toe the line, as cyclists we remain the minority by a massive margin, so its up to US to change not the motoring public.
[/quote']

No...no...Widget.  You misread.  I did not say I (Or my wife who was riding with me most of the time) was "rude, indifferant, arrogant, offensive, macho or plain dumb"

We were polite, friendly, rode next to each other......and still we had pricks trying to kill us.  So no.  Not ONCE did I say it  was OK to be all the above quoted qualities.  Stop implying stuff and start reading....