Shimano Tiagra STi

GT White

Has anyone sucessfully taken a Shimano Tiagra Sti Shift lever apart and been able to get it back together again.

After a fairly nasty fall, mine ended up "eating a lot of dirt" and the shifting was problematic thereafter. It would shift up fine, but the ratcheting mechanism would get stuck on the down shift.

I was perhaps a bit too brave when I decided to dismantle the mechanism to clean the grit and sand out of it. Needless to say, I jumped in with gay abandon and now I am the proud owner of a handful of little parts (albeit clean) that I dont know how to get back together again.

Anyone got a exploded view of the orientation of the parts and how they are supposed to get back together again or anyone know of a shop that can put it back together again?

PS, lever in question is for the rear derraleur        

Wow, didn't know you could do that to a sh*tmano Sti! Shocked Was under the impression that only Campy could be dismantled.

Came apart beautifully, a star screwdriver and some allen keys is all that it took.

Getting it back together however requires more than the screwdriver and allen keys, it also requires someone with a brain that knows how all those little bits need to work together again. 

Phew good luck! I know a friend of mine was out from Canada and his old bike developed bad shifting. The LBS wouldn't even attempt to open it, told him straight out to replace. He decided he wasn't here for long enough to warrant the cost, so he retro fitted a downtube shifter!!

GTW - you could always open the opposite lever and have a look see how it goes togetherWink make drawings or take pictures as you go or...

Try the Shimano web site, if you cannot find an exploded view for the Tiagra try one of the other models like 105 or Sora, they may be similar?  www.shimano.com > Technical Service> Tech Docs> more> select the model and item you require

Not sure if that shows you everything you need to see...

The exploded view will show you how to put it together. BUT theres this little beatch of a coil spring that needs to be tensioned right at the end. I tried once and it took me a good day to get it together. If you come to part were you must hook the coil spring try using a piece of fishing line to hook and pull it in to place. It worked for me. And dont even try to call the suppliers for help....useless to say the least.

I know a guy in Cape Town that routinely takes these things apart and puts them back together, only person I've ever come across who does this.

He....He....He.....

http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/ImaPoser.gif

You have a bit of a problem.

Had a Ultegra lever stuck that was only 4 months old.......Suppliers said it was a fitment problem ("Incorrect cable routing")  although it did work 4 months in racing conditions.......http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/headscratch.gif

So....I took it apart. 
Needless to say my LBS ended up with a box of plenty spares.  I have never seen a mechanic laugh so hard......in my face nogal!  http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/shog.gif

I still have all the spares, should you need anything!  http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/icon10.gif

Buy a new one.....CANT......Only sold as a pair.  Repair it.....CANT.....Only Campagnolo can be serviced....

From that day onwards Shimano's retailers in SA lost out to about R85 000 (and counting) worth of sales between myself and my friends just because they did not honor their warranty.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Enjoy buying a new set of STI's! http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/nod.gif

Unlike what Spiderman is trying to imply, he is a dyed in the wool Kepekkernoglia fan who cannot seem to master the art of routing Shimano cables correctly...... now he blames Shimano for his own incapabilities !!!!!!........Shimano shifters CAN be repaired. GT White please Private Mail me with your email address so I can send you a chapter of the Barnes Cycling Manual that dseals with sh*ters. It may be handy.

If you do not succeed in assembling them you can order new ones from www.chainreactioncycles.com for R1228.70. Add VAt and postage and you will have them in a week.

And now we know why Spiddey is a Campag fan .......!!! You MAY be able to fix them but even our most devout shimano adherent is saying that there is some doubt. Now if you had Campag, I doubt they would even be broken. Binned my bike at 40+ km and ended up with 2 x scraped brake levers and that's it.

How are you Kimberley, you still on holiday or in Nigeria(?) already??

Ja jy is ook al lank in die tand.... met 'n naam soos daai wat reguit uit die Star Wars flieks kom. As jy jou ogies gewas nhet sou jy gesien het ek skryf with GT White en ek het nie met jou gepraat nie!!!!!! Hou jou siek kommentaar vir iemand anders jou stukkende robot..... jy werk seker met Duracell batterye!!!!!!

That's me and I'm never quite sure which way the batteries go in ........

Very touchy this morning, bad weekend? 

Oom H, I tried the same with an Ultegra lever, no help!  I then went and bought a "skeleton" lever which was about R650.  Just the working part, still used the old hoodies.