Dura Ace wears out

NouSa

A cycling buddy of mine is buying a new bike and was given advice at the shop that doesn't ring true.

They told him to get Ultegra rather than Dura Ace as the latter tends to wear faster. Specifically, he said that the chain stretches and should be replaced every 800 km. That would mean every 2 weeks or so! I have had DA for 5 months and it is going strong at about 350k/wk. Sounds bogus?

Anyone know if there's any truth to this? 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So tell me.  Do you service your car every few months?

I am not so sure about 800 km.  There is a way to measure your chain.  But I doubt that it is 800 km (byt I am posting under correction)

My chain has 1500 for the season (okay I slacked again this year) and the chain is still fine. 

Think you can search in google for chain stretch.  But remember that you will wear your chainrings if you use a worn chain.

If you dont understand please send me a PM.  I can walk you trough step by step...  If not, rather play sefe and take the bike in at regular service ints, just to make sure

Generally Dura Ace will wear quicker than Ultegra as the materials are lighter and less durable.  Whether that is specifically true of the 2007 models, I can't tell you.  Chains will never need to be replaced after 800km (more likely around 3k for a superlight chain)  but even so that could be easily solved by getting a quality aftermarket chain from KMC or Connex or SRAM, or just get the Ultegra chain.  My understanding though is that the chains for the 10 speed Shimano drivetrains are exceptionally good quality - probably the single best component in the groupset.

Coo lname for the thread!Clap

But haven't we heard this before?

...erm...Shimano wears OUT while Campag wears in....Big%20smile

hate to say this...but - told you so!!!LOLLOL *jikes, i'm running alreadyWink*

O hel Nellie jou eerste dag terug en jy soek al klaar 'n geveg.  Jy gaan oom H se hout lepel toekenning moet kry smaak dit my...

Maar nou ja.  SRAM is nognie so groot in SA nie, so ons gaan ma no sukkel met die ratte...

Well...the people said the Hub was boring lately, so i decided to spice it up. Don't think my plan will work though, we've been through the Campy - Shimano thing thousands of times already!

Daddy's pocket...

nah...just joking, don't even have Campag at the momentCryEmbarrassed

But as soon as i get a chance i will have a nice Campy groupset again.Big%20smile

Nellie....why downgrade.... rather get SRAM if you cannot get Shimano!!!!!!!