Overtraining

Token

So when do i know if im over training?
When you are hanging over your trainer and you can't ride anymore.......usually when you start to lose interest in riding before the season has started, loss of motivation is a good sign...

One of my friends monitor overtraining by taking her heart rate each morning before she gets up and if there is more then ten beats difference she knows that she needs a rest day. I'm not sure how accurate this. Ermm

One of my friends monitor overtraining by taking her heart rate each morning before she gets up and if there is more then ten beats difference she knows that she needs a rest day. I'm not sure how accurate this. Ermm

i'm no sure that applies to overtraining but maybe to weather she is getting sick or not....

For getting ill he 10 beat is a good option,  reasonally i have just not been able to get anywhere near my max,  wanted to know if i could have over done it,   average speed of rides hasnt droped at all

For getting ill he 10 beat is a good option' date='  reasonally i have just not been able to get anywhere near my max,  wanted to know if i could have over done it,   average speed of rides hasnt droped at all [/quote'] you'll also find as you get fitter your heart rate zones change slightly by a few beats, usually your max comes down.....

If you have overtrained what average time period does it take before you're back to "normal" and can continue training your usual routine ?

This is what I got from Scott Richardson: "If you're resting HR is more than 5 beats higher you might be getting sick take it easy, if its about 10 beats higher and you're feeling tired then you are overtraining, take off completely for a few days but keep an eye on your resting HR, as soon as its back to where it should be you can start riding again"Heart  This can take about 4-5 days to recover, depending on how badly you've burnt itDead

Think he should know what he's talking about!Thumbs%20Up

Depends on how 'overtrained' you are and what your definition of overtraining is. Personally I like Floyd Landis' theory and if I ever find myself asking if I might be overtrained, I go read it again and then go training!

"If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training," Landis says, his fingertip rapping the table for emphasis. "So you weren't overtrained; you were actually undertrained to begin with. So there's the rule again: The guy who trains the hardest, the most, wins."

Depends on how 'overtrained' you are and what your definition of overtraining is. Personally I like Floyd Landis' theory and if I ever find myself asking if I might be overtrained' date=' I go read it again and then go training!

"If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training," Landis says, his fingertip rapping the table for emphasis. "So you weren't overtrained; you were actually undertrained to begin with. So there's the rule again: The guy who trains the hardest, the most, wins."

[/quote']

Sounds like what they do in Bloem for base trainingConfusedLOL

Overtraining is a bit of an over used phrase IMO - I have only ever seen a handful off riders that were truly over trained. Over reaching is more often the case - bottom line is that if you cannot achieve the normal performance level for a particular workout then you need a rest. With a power meter this is very easy to monitor as you can either get in the zone or not but using HR it is a little easier to over reach because as you fatigue and the exercising HR becomes supressed then it is possible to keep pushing in trying to achieve your normal HR for that session - this can lead to a state of fatigue that is called over reaching. A few days off will normally see you right (a week at most should be sufficient)

As has also been mentioned;

Lack of motivation

General irritability

Token - Last year I rode as hard as I could, I went out every weekend and did about 150km a weekend (for someone who had only been cycling for 2 months that alot ok, so no grief about it) then rode through winter at the same pace and from end September through to the weekend before the 94.7 did a race every weekend. The race I did the weekend before the 94.7 I just had nothing in me. I had to stop and throw up, I felt like I couldn't turn the pedals, I had to phone my buddies to come fetch me (push me to the end). I just had NOTHING!!!!

Everybody told me that I had over trained and that I should do nothing that week, not even walk up the stairs at work. I had written off the 94.7. But it worked, I had an awesome 94.7.

SO for me overtraining is probably just when your body says enough, I need a break and I felt it when I just kept pushing but had no power to push.

my 2c worth.