• Have 'em and love 'em
    • Hate 'em
    • I have a 29'er so my opinion doesn't count

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch! thanks buddy - so you have 'ends ?

Yeah got them but am quite particular about them, got a set of '96 Answer Hyperlites, not purple alas, just the normal silver ones.

I have had bar ends but was recently convinced to get rid of them. First was when they hooked on an exit chute at Logwood and threw me off. Then they hooked a long weed thingie at Northern Farm and I bar endo'ed again. Then I attended Geoff's skills clinic (I'm starting to sound like that chick about band camp aren't I?!), and he made for a convincing argument.

so now, no more bar ends!

Sort of gives you an alternative position when riding on the road - but I guess that's what roadbikes are for.

I have bar ends, but I don't use them anymore.  All I use them for now is as a hook for the helmet and gloves...

And as MicH said, they can get hooked on things and make you fall....

ouch! thanks buddy - so you have 'ends ?

Yeah got them but am quite particular about them' date=' got a set of '96 Answer Hyperlites, not purple alas, just the normal silver ones.
[/quote']

man those are like the holy grail of bar ends......always wanted a set of those.........in purple of course

http://www.bikepro.com/products/barends/bar_end_jpg/c_ans_hillbend_top.jpg

And as MicH said' date=' they can get hooked on things and make you fall....
[/quote']

Somehow that never happens to me..Confused

It's all got to do with an awareness of where the end of your bar is. If you're gonna clip with bar ends, you're gonna clip with a wider bar too.

One of the only times I clipped my bar ends was after the finish line at Lourensford - on some candy tape. Quite a spectacular endo followed.

Very embarressing.

cut mine off to be shorties though' date=' now they're perfect![/quote']

No wonder the child birth rate in the Western Cape dropped by 42%.

It is not a question of bar-ends or not , it is more a question of what type you want . If your bar end hooks onto everything you pass along the way it means they are not installed properly . For a bar-end to hook it means your handle bar would have hooked anyway without the ends . Ok I am not really into the bull horn type ends and more like the Mier or Lizard type setups .