Recumbent Bicycles

Cois

Hi there.

I saw this on the internet, I know some of the hubbers must have one of them.

I would like to know a bit more about recumbents.

If you dont know what a recumbent is: smileys/smiley3.gif

http://www.radius-liegeraeder.de/neu/

Is there some cycling store in SA that can sell these bikes and what kind of price class am I looking at.

Any help / advice will do.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the help. Might just get one. Might be tricky as a MTB????

I like the speed, but is it the same as a tandem. Show it a hill and you slow down?

But you dont see them in SA a lot or am I blind to the world of cycling again?

smileys/smiley12.gif

Spoke to Rodger about it some time ago and he said that in the beginning it is tough but no diff to jumping onto a tandem or a motorbike for the first time - the more you do it the easier it is. The way I understand it but 70km's on the flat is a norm which means that they could outgun the elites. Hills are a little diff but it all depends on your legs (in ACT 2005 more tandems did sub 3 than half bikes), downhills... well they can be supa-scary.

There are not many around (I have no more than 3 at Cape funrides) but as with anything the more we talk about it, the better the chances of us seeing more on the road.

I would be keen to try one.

You are not alone.

The more I think about it I want one. Just for the fun at least. smileys/smiley36.gif

It's not fun. I rode one in the Argus a few years ago. Sidewinds with that thing is a nightmare, no control. Hills tough. Can't get extra water in or stop at robots.

Argus record of Wimpie vd merwe about 2h08m. To get 70km/h on flats quite difficult.

smileys/smiley6.gif I dont like the sound of that one. Blown away and then die without water....

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

where oh where is lazy boy when his input is needed??? he rides a high-rider and doesn't seem to have any difficulty stopping at red lights, nor did he suffer more than the rest of us in the cross-winds heading back from uncle harry's. maybe it's just cos he's used to it (in which case comparing it to tandem is right cos when i'd started piloting tandem it was a nightmare but then it got as easy as a half-bike)

as to water - recumbents make hydration-pack usage easy - strap it to the back of the seat. that means you can actually take more water than on a half-bike.